GRAND PRIX Safelite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Mine has been in my Monte for 8+ years now with no issues, the warranty is lifetime as long as you own your car for defects or workmanship.

Nov 4, 2012
Avoid Safelite. I worked at a body shop for 8 years, and we used a really good glass guy. He told me Safelite trains their techs in about 2 or 3 weeks, whereas true auto glass guys get 18-24 months of training. He tells me if it weren't for safelite, he'd go out of business, because half of what he does is replacing Safelite windshields that delaminated, cracked or peeled off.

The biggest issue is the adhesive Safelite uses. They use a primerless adhesive which any real glass guy will tell you is garbage. I've seen him just pull the stuff right off, no adhesive qualities at all once it dries.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Safelite techs seem to be hit or miss. Locally, they're terrible.

You might check with a couple local body shops to see who they use WHEN THEY GET TO PICK (we HATE comebacks, especially for sublets). Some insurers dictate (through pricing) who they will use.

Had a Safelite in wife's Expedition (was in it when we bought it), had visual distortion in a couple places (the one that bugged me was about 9 inches from the A pillar and about a foot up from the top of the dash), chipped easier than other glass (in my experience), and was a sloppy install (visible urethane squeeze-out). When it cracked in the sun from one of the half-dozen rock strikes , had our glass guy install a Pilkington. Also have a Pilkington in my F350 for 6 years and 90000 miles, 1 rock strike. Also have a Pilkington in the wagon for about a year now, very happy with it. Was $200 installed.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you do replace the windshield I'd suggest you take the windsheild out so if there is any issues with the ledge you can address them before the new windshield is installed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I used them several times all with good results. My Bonnewagon, a Cobalt, and a Jeep. I go to the shop itself where the old timey guys work. The new guys are in the mobile trucks. I think that makes a big difference.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Greasemonkey
Jul 17, 2018
I had them do my GS300 and my grandfather's Jeep. The install in the GS300 was clean and I didnt have issues for over a year before I sold it. The Jeep is going on 3 years with no issue (although I have not personally driven the POS in over a year). My grandfather has atomic OCD when it comes to other people working on his rigs and he has not said a word so I take that as it is doing good. Both of these installs were at a facility (one here in WA and other when I lived in MS).

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
When I bought my Grand Prix back in 2015, its windshield has numerous huge cracks. (At my dealership, we have an account with Safelite and they handle virtually all of our windshield replacements--we even have them install OEM glass for any warranty issues.) I've had nothing but good luck with them in the past, so I called them and set up installing a new windshield in my GP. Their new glass was an exact replacement for my stock one, including the tint strip and the integrated radio antenna.

Three years later, it still looks great. No complaints.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm very skeptical of glass shop guys since my favorite glass shop went out of business several years ago. So under the recommendation of my insurance company, I used Safelite local guys here when a rock chunked the wife's 2016 CTS windshield. They have different "grades" of windshields. They have their brand, they also had the Pilkington brand which is "OEM equivalent" and then they could also install a GM windshield. After talking to a few insurance folks about the "OEM equivalent" they told me that it was basically the same windshield but had the "GM" logo ground off of it. But because of liabilities, ALL windshields they install must meet MINIMUM safety requirements. Not that it made me feel all that much better. And the Pilkington glass without the GM logo was a bit cheaper.

I have all that camera junk for road sensing stuff so the insurance company told me I'd be better off getting the GM windshield since they said they'd be ok with covering a factory style. Sure enough, they put a factory windshield in. I watched them in the shop when they got it in from the dealership truck (snagged the GM part number off the box too because apparently Cadillac has different part number windshields for whatever reason) and they did an excellent job overall. No cost to me for the glass and install, but it would have been almost $800 for that joker done out the door. Been over a year and a half and no issues at all. The b*tch was that I had to pay the dealership to recalibrate the lane sensor and collision sensor cameras. So that was an EXTRA $200 out of my pocket. Found out the dealership uses Safelite to do their windshields, so even having the dealer do it would have ended up in the same place.

Again, I'm usually vary wary of places like Safelite, but their techs did a very good job for me. Kept all the car covered in the right places, and worked in a very clean shop. I have nothing to b*tch about and I'm pretty anal about doing the crap right.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I took the plunge today and had my windshield replaced at a local Safelite location. All went well. The windshield looks great. The technician was stellar. And the price complete with tax and old windshield disposal was $174 and change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor