Satin clearcoat questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I recently painted my monte satin black, or "hotrod" black. Does anybody know of a good clearcoat I can use to help with durability but not change the finish of the paint? I dont want a gloss or flat finish I wanna keep the satin finish (which is why I bought the paint). Im a noob when it comes to paint so this may be a noob question but I was wondering because the car will be under a car cover during the winter months and I dont wanna ruin the fresh paint. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

was the paint you used a base coat to use clear over? It's the clear that give the car the shine so if you want a satin finish then you need a satin clear. I used Deltron clear and I has to mix in flattening agent to get the matt I was looking for. The clear cost me $180 for the gallon and I needed 4 quarts of flattening agent at $70 per quart.

What do ya think of this?
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rat-rod-sati ... t-kit.html
It says it needs a 4:1 mix with their activator but thats not an issue. Also do you know what 10-15% gloss level means? I know its obviously showing how glossy vs flat the finish is but would the 10-15 still be around a satin finish?

the 10 -15 is more like an eggshell but it's close to satin. Mine is in-between flat and eggshell, probably 4-8. We can't get any urethane or acrylic paints here in Canada any longer so that's why we pay large for paint products

Gloss Level 1 – Flat, <3@60 degrees
Gloss Level 2 – Low Sheen, 5-10@60 degrees
Gloss Level 3 – Eggshell, 10-15@60 degrees
Gloss Level 4 – Satin, 25-35@60 degrees
Gloss Level 5 – Semi-Gloss, 50-55@60 degrees
Gloss Level 6 – Gloss, 70-80@60 degrees
Gloss Level 7 – Gloss, 85+@60 degrees

Ok thanks for the info! Im gonna look into getting what was in the link, I think 15% is right where I wanna be. I have seen the finish on your GP and I was looking for something close to that but alittle more gloss.

when you do put the clear on don't freak when it looks shiny even after it starts to dry....give it a few hours and it'll turn satin.

Yea thats how the black was I thought it was gonna be gloss but with time it came out right.

pontiacgp said:
what kind of gun are you using and what's the tip size?
Honestly im not sure 😳 Il have to ask my dad its his gun. Hes had it for a longtime and it "outlives" all his others. I got one last quick question, how does a satin or flat clear wetsand and buff? Wouldnt it leave "glossier" spots where you buffed it?

I have not buffed it yet and I have a few beer riding on it. The finish of the clear is a chemical reaction and not the texture of the finish so buffing a layer off the clear would not affect the gloss level so I'm expecting to be collecting all the beer owed to me on the bet.. 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor