SBC CRANK KIT INSTALLATION????'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I have heard years ago that you can flip a engine over and install a crank kit in it and was wondering jow this was performed,any information or videos?Thanks

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Just have to slide the pistons in the bores to clear the crank journals. Just remember to cover the rod bolt threads.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I have heard years ago that you can flip a engine over and install a crank kit in it and was wondering jow this was performed,any information or videos?Thanks
That just seems a fairly short term solution IMO... I mean. You've got the engine out already. If you need a crank kit usually it's because something went sideways and you had metal shavings from old bearings and such running through the engine.

Even if you don't overbore the engine, why wouldn't you want everything cleaned to get all that debris trash out before reassembly?

Just seems like most of the labor has been done by the time youve got an engine out, on a stand, and the crank removed. Why not finish the job?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Years ago I did this to my Willys F-head.
The motor in the CJ5 sounded like a drill sergeant whacking a baton inside a metal trash can, had some serious rod knock goin' on.
Bought another rig for the plow (low miles but rusted away) which "runs good" according to the PO.
It did until the t-stat opened and the white smoke of death erupted. Crack in the block between #1& #2 cyl.
So, seeing how it was quiet with good oil pressure I pulled both motors, flipped them over and swapped out the "quiet" crank and bearings into the noisy one. New gasket set and buttoned it up.
Still quiet with 40lbs oil pressure (hot) at idle 8 years later.
Should you do it? Always an option I guess, but dont call it rebuilt:LOL:

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor