SBC Higher output alternator swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veltboy618

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2008
I have a chevy 350 in my cutlass that came out of a 1980 c-10 with a stock alternator & I want to know is there a car that I can swap my stock alternator for one with higher amps and it's a direct bolt on?

Veltboy618

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2008
I picked up one of those 140A alts from the list on one of those sites & installed it earlier today. First it was working fine then it stopped working. I think I fried it from having it wired the wrong way. What is the correct way to wire it up?

Veltboy618

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2008
here is what happened. I found a good sc144 alt at a salvage yard then took it to get tested just to make sure & it tested good. I put it on my car earlier today & it started off working but after a couple minutes it stopped charging. I took it off the car & took it to get tested again & it was bad. I think I may have fried the alternator from having it wired incorrectly.

This is how I had it wired...

Fom the "S" wire on the pigtail from the sc144 alt I had that going to the nut on back of the alt that say "BATT" and its another wire going form there to the battery. The "L" wire from the pigtail I had that going to a switched wire thats 12V+ when I turn the key.

The pigtail on the stock alternator that was on my car only had 2 wires (red & brown)coming from it. The red wire from the pigtail on that alt went to the back of the alt to the nut & it was another wire going from the nut to the battery. The other wire was cut & wasn't going to anything.

How can I wire the SC144 alt to my car without blowing another alt?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I bought an adapter for mine from Napa but as Monte Olac's links would have told you...

Most of the connectors for the CS alternators are four wire but will only use two of them and the wiring is the same as the SI.

* S = a heavy gauge wire to the battery supply (horn relay)
* F = not used
* L = a small gauge wire that comes from the idiot light and energizes the alternator
* P = not used

Veltboy618

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2008
I took the old alternator back & got another one. I took it to get tested & it's putting out between 15-16 volts. Will that harm my electrical system?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
no but I'd go back and get it tested again and if it's putting out 15-16 the voltage regulator is defective. Max it should only be putting out a little over 14...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor