sbc info

Status
Not open for further replies.
cutlass79 said:
hey thanks for that link i mit go with a set of thos heads if i dont find something els im talking to a guy with a fully rebuilt ported and polished set of sportsman II heads 2.055 intake valves and 160 exhaust with 7/16 studs with stud girdle for $400 are thay good heads worth the $400 hes askin if so ill go grab them up tonight

thats quite a bit of cylinder head. if you're not gonna change the cam to something significantly larger at the same time, the car will probably be slower. then you run into whether or not you have enough squeeze for it to be worth your while, unless the heads are milled substantially. the vortec set-up is prob the best bang for your buck. unless you could find a used set of performers or something like that.

cutlass79 said:
hey thanks for that link i mit go with a set of thos heads if i dont find something els im talking to a guy with a fully rebuilt ported and polished set of sportsman II heads 2.055 intake valves and 160 exhaust with 7/16 studs with stud girdle for $400 are thay good heads worth the $400 hes askin if so ill go grab them up tonight

unless this guy is your friend & you know him well I'd make an agreement and have him sign it that you'll pressure check and magnaflux the heads within a certain amount of time, maybe a week. If they check out then you're good. If theres leaks or cracks that can't be fixed then write down before to protect yourself from that situation, that you'd get all your money back and he gets his heads back. Bring a zeroxed copy so he has one and you have one and you both sign it.

you don't have to, but its good security. Most likely what will happen if hes trying to pull the wool over a buyers eyes he'll back out and not want to sign something like that. They're prob good heads but I get paranoid.

yeah i was woundering if itd be to much unless i went with a big cam but even if i do go with a bigger cam would that heads still be to much for a stock bore im not goin to bore the motor out or anything im thinkin the vortec top end set-up is the way im gunna go unless anyone els has any info on what thay run on there daly divers

My gm 350 has the vortec heads and intake. Way better than the stock junk.

cutlass79 said:
yeah i was woundering if itd be to much unless i went with a big cam but even if i do go with a bigger cam would that heads still be to much for a stock bore im not goin to bore the motor out or anything im thinkin the vortec top end set-up is the way im gunna go unless anyone els has any info on what thay run on there daly divers

sportsman's with stock 200cc's intake runners will give pretty low compression but who knows how extensively they've been ported, could get very annoying with low compression and huge runners. Did he say if they've been angle milled? It's going to need around a 280-288 cam and a good dual plane or a single plane intake to get the most out of it, otherwise might as well throw the money down the drain. Vortec makes similar flow numbers using much smaller runners, better all around. Also the vortec combustion chamber shape benefits higher compression/lower octane.

Upfront cost the sportsmans may be cheaper, but in the long run you'll likely be spending more to be satisfied with them. Vortecs would be the smart way to go, but with a higher budget the sportsmans can make a lot more top end. I'd stick with the vortecs

custom442 said:
cutlass79 said:

sportsman's with stock 200cc's intake runners will give pretty low compression but who knows how extensively they've been ported, could get very annoying with low compression and huge runners. Did he say if they've been angle milled? It's going to need around a 280-288 cam and a good dual plane or a single plane intake to get the most out of it, otherwise might as well throw the money down the drain. Vortec makes similar flow numbers using much smaller runners, better all around. Also the vortec combustion chamber shape benefits higher compression/lower octane.

Upfront cost the sportsmans may be cheaper, but in the long run you'll likely be spending more to be satisfied with them. Vortecs would be the smart way to go, but with a higher budget the sportsmans can make a lot more top end. I'd stick with the vortecs

couldn't agree more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor