sbc issue, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
so we just got my buddies 327 into his regal tonight. it is a fresh 4 bolt main block, 60 over, flat top speed pro pistons, energizer cam, double roller..... anyways we just got it all back together and installed in his regal, [problem is that we have no compression. when it cranks it seems like it is not getting any compression because it sounds a little funny and seemed like there was not enough resistance not to mention it will not start. i am thinking that we did not get the timing chain properly aligned?? is there anything else that would cause this?? we double checked the timing marks before we finished assembling the motor but is it possible that we got them off?? is it possible to be 180 degrees off? it has literally zero compression according to our compression gauge. so tea, we are pretty much stumped right now! any ideas or suggestions please???

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
a couple of stupid "have to ask" questions; if you pull a valve cover, do the rockers move? are you sure the compression gauge is working? do you have 0 compression on all cylinders? did you install the woodruf key with the timing set? when you set the crank timing, did you double check that #1 was actually at TDC? how did you set valve lash? were the timing marks both on the top of the gears, or the crank on top and the cam on the bottom?

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
did you replace the harmonic balancer at all?

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
the balancer is brand new. the valves are opening and closing for sure. the timing markers were cam on bottom and crank on top like we so everytime. we did install the key on the crank to prevent slipping. we set the valve lash the same way we do on all of our motors, with the manifold off we make sure the lifter is at its lowest point, tighten till they snug up and 1 half turn past that. #1 is confirmed to be top dead center. i am almost positive that the timing marks matched but it is the only thing i can figure out at this point, if they were one tooth off would it cause this? they were at least very close, if not perfect. i wonder if the marks on the gears may have been wrong??? i do not recall the brand name of the timing chain......

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Did you remember to install the pistons? 8) :lol: :twisted:

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
we fliped the distibutor 180 degrees like 5 times. we had to have had spark because the timing light was catching the signal. yes the pistons were installed! wait, um i think i may have had some beer first, ohhhhhhh no, we forgot the pistons! j/k

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Is their a way that you would be able to visually see if the valves are open or closed in relation to what stroke the piston is at. Pull the valve cover and see if both the valves are closed on the compression stroke. I am not sure if it is possible to see exactly what stroke it is on so this might not work.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
What lifters are you using? If they are solid lifters then you do not set them the conventional way. I would back all of the rocker nuts off one complete turn and try again.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
they are not solid, they are hydraulics. i am wondering if we used the wrong marks om the timing chain, i half way remember seeing 2 marks on the cam gear but i am not 100% sure. are there any other possibilities besides the timing chain being mis-set??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor