sbc issue, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
we are planning to get to it this weekend, im going to start by losening the valves 1 half turn and see what that does. just need time!!

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
did you prime your engine? i don't know what method you use to adjust the valves, i use the chevrolet recommed way of setting them before installing the motor. i prime the motor until oil comes out of the pushrods and then adjust them by bringing up number one compression stroke,then adjust the eight valves and turn the engine over one time so that number six is up on compression stroke then adjust the last eight if your interrested i'll send you the sequence..... jesse

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
I would check to make sure that the valves are closing properly, one way to check is to roll the motor to top dead center on the compresion stroke pull the spark plug and blow air into the cylinder, make sure you get a good seal on the spark plug hole, Listen the the intake and exhaust for air coming out.

Also make sure the rockers are not holding the valves open, not all cam, lifter, push rod, rocker combos are the type you just tighten (like stock ones are) some you have to set with a feeler gauge. so make sure there is not to much pressure on them, they should have some movment when the lifters are all the way down.

If that all checks out, that most likely means you have you cam timing. (are you positive that ur not 180 off between the cam and crank?)

Also 1 other thing, are you sure that the heads are seated properly the the head gasket and block? what type of head gasket did you use

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
regalman4925 said:
we are planning to get to it this weekend, im going to start by losening the valves 1 half turn and see what that does. just need time!!

Don't just leave us hanging, what did you find??????

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
well we have not had time to get to it yet.... too damn busy with work and life! it kinda sucks! i will keep you guys posted as we figure it out

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
finally got to work on her! figured it out! the lower cam gear was set at -4 which i would have never thought would cause no compression?? anyways we put it back to zero and cranked it, got a back fire, flipped the distributor 180 and it fired right up! now we just need time to get in there and tune it, too bad the summer is already over! he told me tonight that he is planning to drive it a little before snow and then we are going to start the body work and plan for paint and wheels by spring time. now time to get my motor together and painted, basically a ram jet 350 but with a holley stealth ram ran off a tpi computer and harness, im excited!

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
sbc

glad to hear you got it figured out, with all you learned on this motor it ought to be a lot easier on your motor.... always remember that when you time your chain dot to dot the motor is not on #1tdc it's on #6 tdc!!!!
if you want to avoid a lot of grief on start up you can follow chevy's method of building a engine an adjusting the valves so you don't have to try doing the valves on start up, you should always prime your motor while it's on the engine stand....if you've got any questions just hit me up....jesse :D

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I just noticed that i called the timing gear a cam gear. it was primed properly we just happened to get the wrong key way on the crank timing gear. i guess we shouldnt drink so much beer while building motors lol, oh well, it gave us a reason to drink more beer lol. i will get pics up soon of the final product

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor