SCREWED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIMITED 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
hey all need to know how screwed i am ...got a 78 350 sbc 010 casting just found cracked cylinder wall....bought it a bout 5yrs ago cleaned it up new carb few more extras lfie got busy and it did alot of drive sitting now i'm back it ...just had full duals headers back hung and thats win i saw the smoke.... is it worth resleeving or junk...if so what is the cost round about....by the way its in a 84 regal...

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
I would have to say it would propably be cheaper and easier to just get another block have it bored out and swap your parts over to it.

Also IMO have the deck milled down about 0.010" which will raise the compresion slightly, and make a better sealing surface for the head

LIMITED 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
well i was just offered a 79 block out of corvette guy says think its got bad rod pin think i could get it cheap worth the risk? the guy is a good friend of boss

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
i would say see the block bare before finalising the deal.
I take it you mean the wristpin?
if so, if the wristpin has come in contact with the cylinder wall it could be damaged beond repair.

Attachments

• gp console.jpg
    gp console.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 168

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
agreed and uhhh agreed! a cracked cyl wall makes it a boat anchor, and have the 'vette block professionally inspected before purchasing.

LIMITED 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
well iguesss its back to the drawing board .....i was praying for a head prob...givin the last guy put 305 heads on the darned thing....

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
did you just see smoke and assume a cracked block, or did it test out that way? your last post makes me unsure. if you haven't had it tested, then it's a different story.

LIMITED 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
after i had the duals installed i saw the white smoke out of driver side exaust that didnt see while running on headers only (just driveway runniing)so i pulled right bank head to investigate found number 3 cylinder wall with crack tracking down the length of the bore

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
I wouldnt waste time having it sleeved. Just get another block. Dont pay more than $75.00 for a bare block. (Unless all the machine work has already been done.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor