Screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
The damned engine is missing 2 rod caps, it's a two bolt main, as advertised 4 bolt. AND it has 3/4" length scratches on one of the cylinder walls.

The scratches can be honed, but it just pisses me off. I'll take the block to have it miked and magnafluxed cuz now I don't trust the seller at all. Also will take out the crankshaft and have it checked at a shop.

So, now that I need new rods because the seller conveniently doesn't know where the caps are, what are the best rods/pistons (cost & performance) for a 350 bored .40 over?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
It's a really weird engine, you can tell there isn't much wear on the cylinders, the crank is hard to turn from sitting, but all the bearings have been replaced and a big scratch on one of the cylinders.

I can't think of what might have happened there, was it rebuilt, then blew a rod and someone tried to take out a piston? If so, I still don't know why its missin two rod caps...whatever...I'm venting.

Hmm. Can I buy a 383 stroker kit and attach pistons bored at .40?

Jul 23, 2008
custom442 said:
It's a really weird engine, you can tell there isn't much wear on the cylinders, the crank is hard to turn from sitting, but all the bearings have been replaced and a big scratch on one of the cylinders.

I can't think of what might have happened there, was it rebuilt, then blew a rod and someone tried to take out a piston? If so, I still don't know why its missin two rod caps...whatever...I'm venting.

Hmm. Can I buy a 383 stroker kit and attach pistons bored at .40?
Yes you can...one of the best places to buy a stroker kit or any parts for that matter is www.enginekits.com Have fun!

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Take the thing back and demand your money back. Find another, SBCs are everywhere. If I was going to mess with another sbc it would be a 383. Is this for the 442?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
summit carries a few different 383 kits, speed-o-motive also has them (from what i've heard don't let S-O-M build your engine, but the parts are really good)
i believe my rods are GMPP rods--5140 forged, and pretty cheap.
before you buy anything, talk to the machine shop. depending on how much honing they have to do, they may have to bore it one more step. it also depends on what material pistons you use. iron pistons expand alot more than hypereutectic so the final bore size is larger.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Yes, its for the cutlass (a 442 clone so it isnt high dollar). I'll have the block magnafluxed and checked out at a shop, if there is a crack in it then I'm taking the thing back and not at all happily, if not I can work around it. I should be able to shove 400 hp/tq to the rear wheels with a 2-bolt, or is this not a good idea?

So I took out the crankshaft and it doesn't look good either. The pistons definitely need new rings, I'll have all this checked and if it's over 200$ to fix it all (without the block miked/magnaflux/hone or bore/steal my lunch price included) then here comes the stroker kit!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
in many ways the SBC 350 was overbuilt. even the 2 bolts main blocks will take a lot of power, well over 400tq. really high RPMs (over say 7500), and big blowers or lots of nitrous would be a problem, but you've got some time before you throw those at it.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
megaladon6 said:
in many ways the SBC 350 was overbuilt. even the 2 bolts main blocks will take a lot of power, well over 400tq. really high RPMs (over say 7500), and big blowers or lots of nitrous would be a problem, but you've got some time before you throw those at it.

Yes, that's what I needed to hear. I would keep the RPMs to around 5800 with the cam I'm going to get (this of course if the block isn't cracked *knock on wood*). I've heard the two bolts were over built from others, but wasn't sure of it. I don't want any trick stuff, just a solid engine with around 400 hp/tq, a crazy stall speed, good gears, and a front axle lock. That should take a vette no problem 8)

Edit: and it's going to be painted Olds gold. Anyone know where I can buy this engine paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor