Sealer coat questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Tony, you'll only need one tube of the painter's paste for your car. I've been able to do several cars with a single tube. Just be sure to use PLENTY of rinse water and not allow the paste to dry on the surfaces being cleaned. Start on the roof and work down. Good luck!
Thank you.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
if you're gonna go the prep paste route,mask the panel gaps with 3/4" tape(picture outlining where they meet with tape)that way the sludge doesn't run into the jambs.that stuff gets into everything and follows every seam/body line/crevice etc.when you're all done pull the tape and dry scuff those small areas by hand that were previously masked.you really need to stay on top of that stuff if you're using it on a car vs a single panel on a stand.it gets a little messy and making sure you get all of it off is important as when it dries it becomes another contimant in your finish

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I’ve always been told that if you sand/scuff epoxy primer that you must recoat with another coat of epoxy

• Agree

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
that's ppg's stance on things but I don't know what line Mr Tony's using. their main concern behind that is overall mill thickness

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
that's ppg's stance on things but I don't know what line Mr Tony's using. their main concern behind that is overall mill thickness
Summitracing.com paint, epoxy, and high build is what I'm using. Their P sheet says after window of epoxy as sealer you must abrade surface. Nothing about re coating. But prior to paint i will seal with reduced epoxy. Hi build is gray and epoxy is white so it'll help with coverage prior to the white single stage.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I was under the impression your epoxy coat is supposed to be impermeable. So when you break it open while sanding, you'll need to apply epoxy again like if it was bare metal. I also thought you wanted to spray sealer right before spraying base(atleast within the recoat window) If not you'll have to scuff and seal again. You spray sealer to have smooth surface that's all the same color to avoid bleed thrus correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor