Seeking an El Camino 4 Speed center console

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
FWIW , 68-72 Chevelles had a shifter with an offset stick to come up through the center of the floor/console/tunnel. Might be worth a look

C210263-lrg.jpg

Last edited:

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Pagrunt, thanks for the reply. The project is an 85 SS MonteCarlo that came as acquired with an automatic and full console that had been damaged. From the two pictures posted, it looks like I have part of the puzzle but still need to score the shorter version of the console that seemed to be used with the manual trannies. Not particularly interested in cup holders. May try E-Bay or Parts Depot.
Everyone, appreciate all your comments and thoughts. As noted, may have to get creative. The breadbox, apt term for that section under the dash, is available by itself. May elect to leave the replacement factory console assembly unmolested as it is over 30 years old and a refugee from a salvage yard that I picked I can't remember how many years back. May just give it a place on the wall of memories.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
RibbedRoof, interesting picture of that Hurst four speed you posted. Looks like the standard socket for the stick has been replaced with one that is offset. Do not recall if that part could be obtained by itself. Think I still have the service parts manual kicking around here somewhere. More likely it would be a case of having to buy the whole assembly and swap out what I have for it. $$$$. Still, something to think about.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Pagrunt, thanks for the reply. The project is an 85 SS MonteCarlo that came as acquired with an automatic and full console that had been damaged. From the two pictures posted, it looks like I have part of the puzzle but still need to score the shorter version of the console that seemed to be used with the manual trannies. Not particularly interested in cup holders. May try E-Bay or Parts Depot.
Everyone, appreciate all your comments and thoughts. As noted, may have to get creative. The breadbox, apt term for that section under the dash, is available by itself. May elect to leave the replacement factory console assembly unmolested as it is over 30 years old and a refugee from a salvage yard that I picked I can't remember how many years back. May just give it a place on the wall of memories.
You keep saying you need to score the shorter version of the console used for manual transmission. There is only one length center console on the 78-88 model A/G body Chevrolets in both automatic and manual trans applications (and manual transmissions in the other divisions as well). As others have stated earlier in this thread; The automatic transmission cars up to 85 had the bread box (that housed the ash tray) riveted to the front of the console. The 86-88 cars had a tray (also riveted to the front of the console) with the standard slide out ash tray mounted under the dash. The pictures that I and other posted are the same consoles and would also be the same consoles used in automatic transmission vehicles with the exceptions noted and of course, an automatic shifter in place of the tray insert seen in the pictures.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I think the consoles pictured just do not have the forward portion on them. I put an 84 MCSS console in my Malibu, and replaced the breadbox with a coin tray. The breadbox portion was rivited to the console base.

sam_1837-jpg.112295

Got beat by gnvair while I was looking for my pic

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
RibbedRoof, interesting picture of that Hurst four speed you posted. Looks like the standard socket for the stick has been replaced with one that is offset. Do not recall if that part could be obtained by itself. Think I still have the service parts manual kicking around here somewhere. More likely it would be a case of having to buy the whole assembly and swap out what I have for it. $$$$. Still, something to think about.
That piece is considered part of the shifter assembly mechanism unless you find someone that parted out a mechanism. The Hurst part# for the assembly is 391 8014. There are similar Competition Plus shifters in the older catalog that locate the lever to the center of the tunnel in the same fashion.
391 7875
391 7879
391 8394
391 8794

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The breadbox ('78-'81, '84-'85) & coin tray ('86-'88) are attached to the front if the console body by rivits automatics only if I am remembering right. Just need the rivits drilled out to remove the breadbox/coin tray & then the console is a manual console.

EDIT: Slow on the keys again.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
gnvair, By way of further explanation, in looking at several pictures that were posted to this thread, they clearly show the console stopping before the tunnel pocket or opening for the manual shifter, and nothing up under the dash. For lack of a more precise term, I am simply calling what I see in the pictures, the short console. Both interiors look like they belong to Monte's. Re-viewing those pictures, it almost looks like the console has possibly been pushed back and remounted. I don't recall the rear tunnel bracket having multiple drillings for locating holes but haven't really looked at it for that reason. Something to do tomorrow. If the bracket is drilled then all I need to do is remove the "bread basket" and use the alternate set of holes to install what is left; problem solved. There are blank inserts available to cap the hole where the auto shifter would have poked through. Plan B would have been to leave the console out altogether and just go with the bare carpet between the seats. Do-able but leaves things looking sort of bare. It had been my belief that GM offered a version of the console that had been made specifically shorter than the auto version in order to accommodate the four speed access. Being able to disassemble the auto console and adjust its mounting location further back on the tunnel had not occurred to me. Would not be the first time I was wrong.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Pagrunt, what you say pretty much confirms what gnvair has suggested; that the console was designed to be convertible from long to short. My assumption when I looked at it was that the breadbox was designed to be attached separately simply as a cost cutting measure. Costs less to cast or mold the console in multiple pieces; look at how they did the frame!! May still just leave the console I have intact and do some salvage yard archeology to see if I can scare up another that can dismantle as you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor