Seeking an El Camino 4 Speed center console

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
The thread title about says the why of this post. For obvious reasons, an automatic console will not accept the four speed stick and associated mechanism. If memory serves, the 78-81 or so Elky's with a manual transmission were available with a centre console to match their bucket seats?? Could be thinking of the same year series Malibus. For purposes of identification, which is correct, the El Camino or the Malibu and who would be the best source to contact. Have already surfed OPGI with no immediate success. May try again for Malibu. Thx. Nick.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The '78-'81 stick cars used the same one as the automatics. There is a coin tray that takes the place of the shifter plate, can't use the front breadbox, the rear floor mount has two sets of screw holes (use the rear most set), you'll need a front mount if I remember right as the auto shifter is the front mount. The front corner will bump up against the plastic shifter boot trim. One of the members with a 4speed/console car might beable to post a pic. FYI, '78-'81 Pontiacs used the same console set up.

Reactions: 1 users

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
Here is a picture. There is a bracket that's welded to the floor that the console mounts to

Attachments

• DSCF1899.JPG
    DSCF1899.JPG
    800.4 KB · Views: 1,873
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Okay. First of all thanks to all who replied. Second, the pictures that gnvar and 85ss/85gn both posted explain most of what I needed to know. What came with the car was the long console for an automatic. What I need, as the pictures show, is the short console. I have the tunnel pocket that gets spot welded to the tunnel for the manual application. Salvaged that from a wreck some time back. May also have the correct boot for what looks like the Saginaw version of the shifter. Which brings me to my stash/archives. I have Saginaw 4-speeds down in the basement. One has been fitted with a 80's F-body shifter; the other is naked. I also happen to have a true Muncie fixed or tunnel mount version shifter assembly that got harvested from somewhere at some point in the far past. Of the two, the Muncie would almost let me use the automatic console as is; no modifications required. The Saginaw version for the Camaro actually positions the shifter almost on top and centered with respect to the transmission body.
Now before anyone steps up to extoll or decry the vices and virtues of the Saginaw/Muncie or Saginaw/Saginaw, Neither one was considered or chosen for my project. The transmission is a re-geared M20 built on a 1" countershaft box. About the only things re-used were the body, the tailshaft housing, the mainshaft, and the side cover. Everything else is new. Not about to use a sloppy factory shifter with this box so it got fitted with a Hurst Competition Plus. Not a new out of the box one but one that I acquired in my travels and which received a little TLC to get it bac k to what I wanted. What does catch my attention is that the stick showing in the one picture is round, and matches the boot that has been fitted in place. Hurst sticks are flat, for the most part. The boot for them is entirely different to the point that even the holes that attach it to the hump are in different locations. Holes are a non-issue. Minor work with a mig gun at worst, or left in case of possible changes in the future. Your pictures suggest to me that I need to locate and score a short console, like those shown in the pics, but also, given the short throw of the Hurst, I may also be able to retain the bread box. I like that possibility, even though it isn't factory, just for the stash space.
So I guess my next question is, what supplier carries the short version of the console? Most of the OPG ones I've seen seem to be mostly cup holders with padding.

Nick

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If your console is for a Chevy all you'll need to do is remove the front section. But if your car has a BOP auto console (don't know what your car is) then just get the Chevy one with out the front coin tray or bread box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor