SEM dye matching colour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I know that this subject has probably come up before, but I'm not having much luck searching. I have an '80 Malibu, and I'm looking for the closest SEM colour code to match the interior colour, which is dark claret (sometimes called oxblood in newer model years). I've checked the SEM colour chart online, and the closest colour I can see, is code 15063, which SEM calls burgundy. Is this the closest match in SEM, or has anyone found anything closer? Thanks in advance.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I don’t know about your color but if you find a paint shop that mixes SEM paints , like I did . They’ll fix you up with the right color . My driver seat had a tag underneath saying 1996 neutral, turns out there were 2 versions of neutral. They got me the correct one . And I painted my interior to match the Camaro leather seats I installed

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I don’t know about your color but if you find a paint shop that mixes SEM paints , like I did . They’ll fix you up with the right color . My driver seat had a tag underneath saying 1996 neutral, turns out there were 2 versions of neutral. They got me the correct one . And I painted my interior to match the Camaro leather seats I installed
Here’s the console lid and how it matches the seats

Attachments

• 6CAF3B52-4079-47BA-AF02-CD0FE864C986.jpeg
    6CAF3B52-4079-47BA-AF02-CD0FE864C986.jpeg
    707.2 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: 2 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
I can’t answer your question but would offer some advice , sem paint is high quality , easy to use but make sure you clean and prep the parts thoroughly.

I ended up using 4-5 coats to get nice even coverage
I did black over saddle tan or whatever it was called ( brown)

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I know that this subject has probably come up before, but I'm not having much luck searching. I have an '80 Malibu, and I'm looking for the closest SEM colour code to match the interior colour, which is dark claret (sometimes called oxblood in newer model years). I've checked the SEM colour chart online, and the closest colour I can see, is code 15063, which SEM calls burgundy. Is this the closest match in SEM, or has anyone found anything closer? Thanks in advance.
SEM used to offer free custom color matching right at their plant. The woman that actually did it was amazing. Unfortunatly when SEM was bought out by PPG they stopped offering it and the woman was let go. Dumb move on their part.
Dixie and Mikes Montes both sell aerosol cans of interior paint. Ive never used it but some folks say it works really well.

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
I don’t care for SEM, go the the Auto paint store and get a quality paint mixed off the code from your car.
get the thinner, s
if You don’t have a compressor set up, get the glass jar spray bombs. Mix your own. Ask questions how to do it all.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I don’t care for SEM, go the the Auto paint store and get a quality paint mixed off the code from your car.
get the thinner, s
if You don’t have a compressor set up, get the glass jar spray bombs. Mix your own. Ask questions how to do it all.
Curious. What brand do you use ?

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016

I don't think OxBlood from earlier years is exactly the same as Dk Claret used in later years (ie 85-87?) but in that PDF above, lookup 1636 Dk Claret and it will give you the precise amounts needed you can take the local paint store that mixes SEM and they should be able to make it for you?

HTH
1660057764751.png

Attachments

• SEM Paint cc_master_2014.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 95

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
66Auto Color online . Will put any color they make in spray cans or quarts

Attachments

• 2D37166F-44C1-443F-B225-B2AE932D2CDD.png
    2D37166F-44C1-443F-B225-B2AE932D2CDD.png
    182.4 KB · Views: 60
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor