SEM plastic paint kind of textured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris_84elky

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2010
Well I took apart a steering column I had to paint all the plastic pieces and used SEM plastic paint/dye as I have read it is one of the best products to use. Sprayed down like 6+ light coats and it turned out great but I have to say it looks kind of textured. Was wondering if this is normal or not cause I was thinking it would be way smoother. The factory paint was nice and flat. Should I put one more coat on it and maybe spray it a little heavier? Also do they make a clear or do I need a clear coat over it or is just they dye good enough?

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Kris_84elky said:
Well I took apart a steering column I had to paint all the plastic pieces and used SEM plastic paint/dye as I have read it is one of the best products to use. Sprayed down like 6+ light coats and it turned out great but I have to say it looks kind of textured. Was wondering if this is normal or not cause I was thinking it would be way smoother. The factory paint was nice and flat. Should I put one more coat on it and maybe spray it a little heavier? Also do they make a clear or do I need a clear coat over it or is just they dye good enough?
Might not have got it shook up good enough. I've had to take up to 10 mins to get my last ones shook up. I think they had sit around a bit. Usually only took literally a minute. Mine was a diff brand tho.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
I shook the can for like 10 minutes as well. Other thing was I left the can in the sun for like an hour or so before use. Sprayed and layed smooth and flat...

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Kris_84elky said:

I've always used SEM interior paints and I don't think I've ever used more than three maybe four coats and that would be on a color change, maybe more if you are going to a lighter color over a darker one.
Make sure you shake the can well and your parts and paint are in the recommended temperature range and there is low humidity.
Yes, they do make a couple clear coats, I use low luster clear it protects without being to shiny.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 678

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
it really depends on what you mean by textured... did you use a plastic adhesion promoter first... do you have a pic, cause if it didnt quite stick, it will look wrinkled, in that case, you need to scuff it back down, use some plastic adhesion promoter and then respray

Kris_84elky

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2010
I believe I just dry sprayed it a little. It's not really bad, just like really small orange peel. I only shook the can for like a minute so that could of also caused it. I used the adhesion promoter and prepped it all right and it's definitely not wrinkled. Next time I'll be sure not to dry spray it and use fewer coats. Thanks for the info/help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor