Sending unit location & removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
hi,

im trying to get to my fuel sending unit next weekend because my gauge reads full when it has about a quarter tank and above, and empty when lower, and in between there sometimes when gauge is in full and i accelarate, the gauge moves toward empty and climbs back to full as a ease my foot off the gas.
so i needed to know where and how do i get the sending unit out to replace it, ive already gotten stuck twice because of gas readings, :?

and how many "outlets" would mine have.
w/o Evaporation Emissions Control; 2 Outlets or w/ Evaporation Emissions Control; 3 Outlets ?

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Drop gas tank its located on the top. You need to spin retaining ring counter clock wise. Might need to use a hammer and a screwdiver

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
It's in the gas tank. You will have to drop the tank to gain access to the lines which will need to be disconnected before you can remove the tank. Pretty straightforward on rust free cars that have been undercoated. On the others the bolts/straps/lines/wiring tends to break.

Before you drop the tank try to clean the - ground ( you will see it plugs into the tailight wiring harness behind the bumper right around where the filler neck is ). Without a good ground your guage reading will fluctuate.

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
axisg said:
It's in the gas tank. You will have to drop the tank to gain access to the lines which will need to be disconnected before you can remove the tank. Pretty straightforward on rust free cars that have been undercoated. On the others the bolts/straps/lines/wiring tends to break.

Before you drop the tank try to clean the - ground ( you will see it plugs into the tailight wiring harness behind the bumper right around where the filler neck is ). Without a good ground your guage reading will fluctuate.

Will try this first, thanks guys.

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
Ok, so I cleaned off the ground, even sanded the build op on it, I put it
Back on and now the gauge is way past full and stays there even when I unplug the red and ground wire,
:?

86Limited

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2009
The Gunshine State, Fl
I just replaced my sending unit on my boat do to gauge reading constant empty, proceeded with removal of the unit only to find 2 problems that were clear and present. 1 sending wire in unit clearly corroded from bottom of contact, and 2 float arm wouldn't move freely up and down, meaning you move it up and it just sticks and doesn't drop back down. just buy a new unit and call it a day.

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
86Limited said:
I just replaced my sending unit on my boat do to gauge reading constant empty, proceeded with removal of the unit only to find 2 problems that were clear and present. 1 sending wire in unit clearly corroded from bottom of contact, and 2 float arm wouldn't move freely up and down, meaning you move it up and it just sticks and doesn't drop back down. just buy a new unit and call it a day.

Yup! That's just what I'm gonna have to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor