Serpentine belt conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I have an '84 Monte Carlo with the 305, and I'd like to convert from the V belt driven engine accessories, and install a serpenine belt setup using parts from a GM donor vehicle. I understand that it would be best to find parts from an '88-'92 F body (Camaro or Firebird), or possibly a late '80s to early '90s B body (Impala, Caprice, or Roadmaster), but are there any other vehicles that might serve my purpose? I was thinking possibly a GM pickup, or Astro/Safari van or S10 with the 4.3lt V6. Anyone here with any thoughts or experience in this regard? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
the astrovans and pickups will work fine as long as it's a small block v8 or v6. the 454 bbc s-belt kit is the only one that won't fit.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks. I kind of thought this is the case. I'd like to keep the A/C functional, which was why I am looking for an F body donor. I understand that the parts from those cars are more compatible for this conversion.

leftrightother

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2009
Canada
I know this is an old topic but if you do this remember to grab the fan clutch and fan itself.

I did the upgrade myself but I just bought it as a kit from GM parts center. That way the water pump, steering pump... ect is all new. I just had to make new AC lines and Batt lines.

Reactions: 1 user

1979mc

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Houston TX
clean8485 said:
I have an '84 Monte Carlo with the 305, and I'd like to convert from the V belt driven engine accessories, and install a serpenine belt setup using parts from a GM donor vehicle. I understand that it would be best to find parts from an '88-'92 F body (Camaro or Firebird), or possibly a late '80s to early '90s B body (Impala, Caprice, or Roadmaster), but are there any other vehicles that might serve my purpose? I was thinking possibly a GM pickup, or Astro/Safari van or S10 with the 4.3lt V6. Anyone here with any thoughts or experience in this regard? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
so I can take the serp kit off of any 88-92 f body? even a V6?

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
its gotta be a v8 serpentine setup if its coming otu of a camaro or firebird. I used a setup off of a 4.3 blazer it was a early 90's....just make sure you have the accessory bolt holes in the front of your heads. I had to go with 90-91 serp brackets off of a firebird when I changed over to TPI. The blazer brackets put the tensioner in the way of the throttle body.

1979mc

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Houston TX
fodoimp said:
its gotta be a v8 serpentine setup if its coming otu of a camaro or firebird. I used a setup off of a 4.3 blazer it was a early 90's....just make sure you have the accessory bolt holes in the front of your heads. I had to go with 90-91 serp brackets off of a firebird when I changed over to TPI. The blazer brackets put the tensioner in the way of the throttle body.
i'm pretty sure i do have the acc. bolts holes. the heads i have are stock center bolts w/out tpi.

1979mc

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Houston TX

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
got any where on this? interested in it as well and what yards do you hit around houston I cant find any good ones with gbodies in them

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor