Serpentine belt conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm part way into the swap right now. Through an ad on the internet, I managed to snag the complete setup from an '88 Firebird, for a good price. I'm trying to get all of the brackets and parts cleaned up now. I can't tell you for sure just yet, but it looks like it should work. The problem that I have right now is that I'm trying to swap from an engine driven fan to an electric cooling fan, I need to find parts from a Buick GN or turbo Regal (1986 or 1987), and I haven't found all of the correct parts that I need just yet.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Don't use the steel shoehorn setup from the late '80s full size trucks, puts the steering pump pulley too close to the steering box. You can use one from a 4.3-equipped S-Series truck/suv as well.
DSC00195.jpg

ssaamm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2008
Fort Stewart, GA
So what can be done for late 80s pick up setups, thats all I got, I was going to try the pulley from a chevy beretta, according to autozones website is has the same measurements, but is almost an inch and a half smaller. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Reactions: 1 user

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
That might be ok... is the bracket all steel? That's the one I had fitment issues with. The round-cover steering box cleared, but the 4-bolt one didn't. Needed slight clearancing and it ran ok while I had it on there, but clearance was so tight I couldn't even get the serpentine belt off :roll:
DSC07088-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

ssaamm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2008
Fort Stewart, GA
I put the smaller pulley on but that wasn't enough... First off I had to put the smaller pulley on, then get washers to push it farther back on the pump shaft because the pully installer installs the pulley to where it is flush with the pump shaft, I needed to go on farther because the smaller (91 Beretta) pulley wasn't as deep as the stock (88 GMC) one was. After getting it back to where it lines up with the belt I installed the pump back on the car. It still just barely hit. So I had to do what I didn't want to do and shim the motor mount on the driver side. I shimmed it about 3/8". I also grinded a side off the bolt on the steering box for just a bit more space.
I don't like having the mount shimmed but it will work for now. I will definately be looking at fabricating something to move the pump up and maybe in.
I will get pics tomorrow, or well later today.

Apr 19, 2009
Huber Heights, Oh
I'd like to know if there is an all inclusive (or mostly inclusive) how to on this. I have the brackets and pulleys that I can use with a TPI motor, got a reverse rotation water pump and alternator for a 91 Camaro. I also have already installed a dual fan setup and radiator from a late 80's IROC. What I need to know is will my power steering that is on the car now work? A/C hose setups and r-12 to r-134 conversion. I work at AutoZone so I can get the parts. Any info will be appreciated.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
I believe you'll have steering box clearance with the F-Body setup, the water pump will be fine, the reverse rotation pump was used on several different vehicles. The alternator you should be able to wire to the brown wire that went to the original alternator.

mugzi

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2007
with doing this conversion like how the ac compressor sits on the driver side will it remain there or does it have to be relocated

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Bumping this thread. Anyone that has or is still doing the swap have any information? I'd like to try and tackle this over the winter. Do the S10 accessory brackets need 3 holes on the heads or just 1? And what about AC lines on cars that are keeping the compressor?

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Cutlass or Regal V8 A/C lines and condensor is needed, no need to relocate the compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor