Serpentine Belt Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
What about using a helicoil to repair the crank

I'd go for a helicoil or a timesert. I certainly wouldn't be tearing a crank out if I didn't have to. I'd also carefully inspect that harmonic balancer to make sure it wasn't the reason the thread stripped and/or it didn't get damaged due to the thread stripping.

I've never done it but the crank is cast iron so it shouldn't be problem to drill it. I've seen crank snouts drilled to 'pin' the balancer to them on modern setups that don't have a keyway and where a super charger is being added so I don't think it would be a big deal. Like others stated, I think I would try a helicoil repair. Probably the biggest pain will be getting everything pulled out of there to give you enough room to get the drill in there. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I don't know why I didn't think of using a helicoil.

Either a Heli coil or tap to the next size larger. What parts have you tested or changed for the no idling problem?

I haven't addressed the no idling problem at all yet. Too many other problems with this truck, the wife's car and my other cars to worry about a problem that really doesn't matter right now. I just start the truck and keep it running till it warms up enough to idle on its own. Eventually I may try to fix it but right now it's just not a priority. I'm hoping to get a better truck this summer or fall and I'll probably keep this one for parts or for a toy.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I don't know why I didn't think of using a helicoil.

I haven't addressed the no idling problem at all yet. Too many other problems with this truck, the wife's car and my other cars to worry about a problem that really doesn't matter right now. I just start the truck and keep it running till it warms up enough to idle on its own. Eventually I may try to fix it but right now it's just not a priority. I'm hoping to get a better truck this summer or fall and I'll probably keep this one for parts or for a toy.
Opie,

If you have access to a scanner, and if you decide you want to pursue the no idle condition, take a look at what the coolant temperature sensor is reading with the engine cold. I've got a hunch its reading that the engine is warm when it isn't. I may be all wet though.

Reactions: 1 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Opie,

If you have access to a scanner, and if you decide you want to pursue the no idle condition, take a look at what the coolant temperature sensor is reading with the engine cold. I've got a hunch its reading that the engine is warm when it isn't. I may be all wet though.

I'm sure it's got several issues. The previous owner did a few questionable things to the truck. For example: they put bolts in to hold the idler arm that were too small of a diameter. If you've never experienced driving a vehicle with that problem, it can get kind of scary. The truck would wander left and right. It didn't do it when I first got the truck. I actually drove it for a long time like that without knowing. When I took it in for an alignment the shop showed me how loose the idler arm was. I ended up having to buy new bolts for it when I replaced all of the steering components. Luckily the small bolts didn't cause the holes in the frame to egg shape.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Opie,

Either that as they fail often or the IAC is pooched, had one of them sh*t the bed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor