G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
LSCustoms said:
I have the avs kit and it was specific to the gbody (the one i got)... was easy to install, however, i dont like the actuator, so will be replacing that with a bigger one... doesnt like to pop the doors all the time

Did you clean and grease the latches?

The stock latches I had were really gunked up and didn't move the greatest. I threw them in my parts washer and then hit them with some glass bead and it really helped free them up.

After TIG welding on a small tab so that I could mount the solenoids I installed them in the door and then used the back-up entry wires just to test it. Seemed to work fine popping the door open and I haven't got any door poppers installed yet.

What kind of solenoid are you going to replace yours with? I liked the AVS kit because it had gear driven actuators which are supposed to be better at opening the doors than the other types of solenoids on the market.

7cutlass9

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 6, 2011
1979ratrod said:
i ordered the autoloc kit. what kind of popers do you guys have? and is it harder to shut the doors with poppers installed?
Just installed my protocol kit last week on my 79 and the doors close fine and pop fine. I thought the same thing at first tho

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
FE3X CLONE said:
LSCustoms said:
I have the avs kit and it was specific to the gbody (the one i got)... was easy to install, however, i dont like the actuator, so will be replacing that with a bigger one... doesnt like to pop the doors all the time

Did you clean and grease the latches?

The stock latches I had were really gunked up and didn't move the greatest. I threw them in my parts washer and then hit them with some glass bead and it really helped free them up.

After TIG welding on a small tab so that I could mount the solenoids I installed them in the door and then used the back-up entry wires just to test it. Seemed to work fine popping the door open and I haven't got any door poppers installed yet.

What kind of solenoid are you going to replace yours with? I liked the AVS kit because it had gear driven actuators which are supposed to be better at opening the doors than the other types of solenoids on the market.
i will try cleaning the latches... i have larger actuators sitting around, forgot the name of them, but will let you know when i check, i dont have any poppers either and when it works, it works fine and pops the door wide enough without them.. worked fine for a while then just clicks every now and then, I may be adding some door handles in though too... if i can find the ones i wnt without having to make them

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I might throw in a custom door handle project soon, or should I say finally.

My latest idea is to make one flush mount in the angle at the top of the door. Similar function to the 70's vettes, but smooth. Not fully thought out yet, but might attach a home door hinge to the upper brace inside the door & have a 1/4" thick steel plate on top with 1/16"carved off the outer edge leaving a rounded edge rectangular shape to protrude through the door.

Hard to picture without a picture, but how's the thought sound? :wtf:

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
jlcustomz said:
I might throw in a custom door handle project soon, or should I say finally.

My latest idea is to make one flush mount in the angle at the top of the door. Similar function to the 70's vettes, but smooth. Not fully thought out yet, but might attach a home door hinge to the upper brace inside the door & have a 1/4" thick steel plate on top with 1/16"carved off the outer edge leaving a rounded edge rectangular shape to protrude through the door.

Hard to picture without a picture, but how's the thought sound? :wtf:
I was working on and had thought of doing something similar for quite sometime now, i actually found a donor car to get it off, but its overseas... was thinking of something similar to the star car (the custom 1965 Chrysler Imperial Crown in it) off the new green hornet movie... its exactly what im looking for, but i dont feel like making it from scratch, please share your process as you figure it out...

at :27 Kato gets in the car using it, i tried to find a close up pic, but couldnt at this time...

[youtube]O9JTijXuxZI[/youtube]

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
On the green hornet car,it could possibly be some type of button for a solenoid, you even have pads you can put under the paint to sense touch.
I,ve had several ideas over the years for a flush handle. Was going to make the type I think jaguar invented that you push in on 1 side & grab, which Kindig has their version.
Also thought about one on the top of the door that simply slides down when you push on it . This would be reasonably simple also, could use a piece of 1" thick UHMW plastic in a rectangular surround with springs & stops.
I did make my own interior door handles from scratch. They are in the aluminum strip in my door. You pull it out slightly & you can reach the pw & pdl swiches, but you don't see them . pretty cool huh.
Whatever I make , I,m trying to make it simple enough that others can follow & post it, like I,m doin with my steel ground effects, which I can't wait to see painted black.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
jlcustomz said:
On the green hornet car,it could possibly be some type of button for a solenoid, you even have pads you can put under the paint to sense touch.
I,ve had several ideas over the years for a flush handle. Was going to make the type I think jaguar invented that you push in on 1 side & grab, which Kindig has their version.
Also thought about one on the top of the door that simply slides down when you push on it . This would be reasonably simple also, could use a piece of 1" thick UHMW plastic in a rectangular surround with springs & stops.
I did make my own interior door handles from scratch. They are in the aluminum strip in my door. You pull it out slightly & you can reach the pw & pdl swiches, but you don't see them . pretty cool huh.
Whatever I make , I,m trying to make it simple enough that others can follow & post it, like I,m doin with my steel ground effects, which I can't wait to see painted black.
thought the black beauty was mechanical... back when i did the research and i am going to do something mechanical for safety reasons... the type i was looking for, was the type you push one side, then pull up

thanks for the kindig suggestion, i will be getting those... problem solved for me, i hadnt even seen those before...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor