She's in a better place now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
My 1990 Buick LeSabre has finally passed on to the next life. I was driving around the south side of Fairfield on the Highway 34 Bypass at about sixty miles and hour when she suddenly stall. After coasting to a stop, I got out to see what was wrong; turns out, I blew a hole in the timing cover and she was leaking a mix of oil and coolant. I traced the leak to a hole in the timing cover about the size of a quarter. My dad thinks either the timing chain or the timing key broke. The chain only has 1500 miles on it.

But I digest. She was a good car. 232,596 is where she died. I bought her last July with 229,***. All of the miles were city except for maybe 300, and they were rough *ss miles. She's been airborn more than 20 times and I've pegged the speedo about 10. I've plowed through drift after drift all winter and she only got stuck once. I rarely let her warm up in the winter before driving her, and cold redlines were common as were screeching the tires. She took a hell of alot of abuse for how old she was but I guess she couldn't take anymore. This car was like family to me. Always there and always reliable. She will be missed.

Rest In Piece, 1990 Buick LeSabre, Rest In Piece.

*pics will be added soon as will more details.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
2fit661ca said:
But I digest. She was a good car. 232,596 is where she died.

:lol:

You meant "But I digress". Sorry for your loss though.

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
You did her a favor, never let anybody else shoot your old dog

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
Qdub24 said:
2fit661ca said:
But I digest. She was a good car. 232,596 is where she died.

:lol:

You meant "But I digress". Sorry for your loss though.

lol, my bad

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
blue.jpg

the day I bought her
buick.jpg

same day; after i painted her
bluebuick.jpg

two weeks later; after replacing parts from the deer accident
100_1086.jpg

last winter; after the second time i painted her
100_0036.jpg

added a grill guard
100_0207.jpg

100_0213.jpg

100_0216.jpg

stripping her down
100_0210.jpg

i guess the cam shaft timing sproket came off and threw the bolt through the timing case. unfortunatley, i'm pretty sure the valves hit the pistons...

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
I'm sorry for your loss, really.
I had an '88 LeSabre and two '89 Park Avenues in the family, and they all served admirable duty. My last Park was the car my kids learned to drive on, and had their first accidents with, saving the abuse on momma's "good car". The combination of a transmission failure and soft rocker panels put me into the same sorrowful position as you. Considering the improvements the 3.8 V6 had undergone in the mid to late '80s, it's too bad the RWD Regals weren't around long enough. A '90 3800 in a Regal "G" would have been a sweet cruiser- enough hp, torque and response to probably embarrass a stock 305 or 307 while getting 30 mpg.
May she rest in peace.

Bill

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
billyjack said:
I'm sorry for your loss, really.
I had an '88 LeSabre and two '89 Park Avenues in the family, and they all served admirable duty. My last Park was the car my kids learned to drive on, and had their first accidents with, saving the abuse on momma's "good car". The combination of a transmission failure and soft rocker panels put me into the same sorrowful position as you. Considering the improvements the 3.8 V6 had undergone in the mid to late '80s, it's too bad the RWD Regals weren't around long enough. A '90 3800 in a Regal "G" would have been a sweet cruiser- enough hp, torque and response to probably embarrass a stock 305 or 307 while getting 30 mpg.
May she rest in peace.

Bill

my thoughts exactly. I've considered dropping a 3800 sfi into a Regal, but I'm not yet confortable with computer mods.

And luckily, I've got a 91 LeSabre on the way for only $400. It's only got 56k and it's in GREAT shape. It just needs the front clip parts I pulled off of mine.

Do you have any other Buicks? I've heard that the 86-91 lesabres and 86 to 90 park avenues are the most reliable of the 3800s

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
where in iowa are you from? i dont live to far from the border. the kid i got my car from was from le mars

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
2fit661ca said:
Do you have any other Buicks? I've heard that the 86-91 lesabres and 86 to 90 park avenues are the most reliable of the 3800s

Very close. By 1988 a new design timing chain tensioner eliminated the weakness of the earlier models, so the '88-91, last of the "first series" 3800 would be my pick for most reliable. The "Series II" 3800 that came out with the Regal and Park in '91 had a composite intake manifold which was prone to warpage, allowing coolant into the oil. By 1997, that was corrected somewhat with a new intake design, but they were still prone to damage if overheated, not to mention the extra complications of the OBDII electronics.
Last year I lost my company car, and needed an inexpensive beater. A cherry LeSabre or Park would have been great, but tough to find on short notice. Winter was coming, and no way was my El Camino going to see any snow. I looked at Grand Prixs, Regals etc., and found a clean 3800 Olds Intrigue with only 93K. But there's still a spot open in the driveway in case I stumble on a well-preserved '88-'90 Park Avenue.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor