Shift linkage rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel guy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2019
Arkansas
I need a shift rod for a floor shift car , it connects to the top of the column and bottom of the cross bar linkage at the transmission. Anyone have an idea where to get one ?

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I may be wrong but are they not the same for column shift or floor shift?

I have one from a column shift car...the one on the left...one on the right was sold.

Linkage Comparison.jpg

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
That pic I posted....the one on the left is column shift (can't recall year)....the one on the right is floor shift (86 Monte Carlo overdrive trans). I took the pic to compare the difference for a member. The only difference I could see was the thickness of the one on the right (floor shift)

I know the trans bracket is slightly different with the "tab" for the shift cable, but I think the orientation of the linkage is the same....maybe I'm out to lunch?

DSC06751.JPG

Diesel guy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2019
Arkansas
That pic I posted....the one on the left is column shift (can't recall year)....the one on the right is floor shift (86 Monte Carlo overdrive trans). I took the pic to compare the difference for a member. The only difference I could see was the thickness of the one on the right (floor shift)[/QUOTE
The top long rod of mine is missing on my car , it's a overdrive also

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Well if you didn't want to take a chance on the one I have....I could look at crawling under this floor shfit Grand AM and pulling the rod for you...

GrandAm 2.jpg

This Malibu was also a floor shift car...I can't recall if the linkage was still there or not...engine is gone but seems to me the trans was still there....

81 Malibu 3.jpg

Cars are at the same wrecker and I think I'm going there this weekend..

Diesel guy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2019
Arkansas
Well if you didn't want to take a chance on the one I have....I could look at crawling under this floor shfit Grand AM and pulling the rod for you...

View attachment 111360

This Malibu was also a floor shift car...I can't recall if the linkage was still there or not...engine is gone but seems to me the trans was still there....

View attachment 111361

View attachment 111360

View attachment 111361

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190330-120232.png
    Screenshot_20190330-120232.png
    392.8 KB · Views: 164

Diesel guy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2019
Arkansas
Depending on your cost and freight maybe wise to buy new . Here's breakdown of parts think I need #1 for overdrive trans

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
If I'm reading that right #1 is the retainer which is basically a hair pin...

1191386_700.jpg

If I understand correctly it's #5 Rod Trans shift.....that your looking for?

As for price...just that rod...probably $10 plus shipping. Without parts in hand I can't say what shipping would be.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Depending on your cost and freight maybe wise to buy new . Here's breakdown of parts think I need #1 for overdrive trans
Good luck with buying new. No repros of that rod that I'm aware of. Long discontinued part but might be found by digging up a few rocks. Oldsmobile and Chevy MW9 rods show different part numbers, as an FYI. And the Olds rod was 3 times as expensive as the Chevy rod for whatever reason.

If you want the hairpin clip, you'll probably need a 12338114. It's the latest number they show for it. List price from GM is $4.27 each. Need 2 for the upper and lower rods. Sometimes people just put regular cotter pins in there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor