shifting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argus219

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2012
Hey i got an 87 Cutlass with a v6

Just had the trans rebuilt and its not slipping. But when ever i am in drive or like first gear or 2nd and at a light then step on the gas it shifts up to the next gear or to neural when in drive.

I can also move it from 1 gear to neutral by turning the steering column by had what could it be?

it sounds like something grinding when on the gas

thanks Doug

Argus219

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2012
Trans mount will cause that? What do you mean broken motor?

illregal

Apprentice
Nov 13, 2009
broken motor mount or trans mount could cause it ,your linkage is attached to your frame,when the engine torques,its pulling your trans away from the linkage,i would have it looked at

Argus219

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2012
thank you i will have it looked at.

are they something i can fix my self? as long as i know what i need to do and what tool i can usually fix it with help

illregal

Apprentice
Nov 13, 2009
the transmission mount is pretty easy,a set of ramps,hydraulic jack with a block of wood and 3 bolts and most important"chock the wheels"(ive been dragged down the driveway when i dropped a column down).the motor mount is a pain doing it on the ground,i would reccomend having it done on a lift

Argus219

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2012
Thank you again I will have someone check it before i go and do it.

this site is awesome and a big help! I'm loving this car more and more everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor