Shop Tools/Scanners: Best Bang for the Buck?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I've been using friends scanners when needed as I've never owned anything recently that required their benefits. Lately it seems I'm constantly doing this w/flips so I deem it time to just get my own.

Thoughts/opinions on what brand/s work well for the non-professional?

OBD1 or 2?

Do you want to do in-depth stuff on OBD2 GM specific stuff where you can do crank learns or see ABS pulse data or Tcase stuff or just generic code reading.

Topdon Topscan hands down, I grabbed one recently, $60 from Amazon. $50 /yr subscription to keep it up to date with mfg data, and firmware updates.

It's paid for itself multiple times already helping fix friends and family vehicles with CEL and codes.

It works with iPad/iPhone or Android phone/tablet.

Well worth it IMHO!

I bought a LAUNCH X431 Mini a few years ago. It was an Amazon return so I got a decent deal on it. I paid $710 in October of 2022. It is more sophisticated than me, but I'm learning. I don't anticipate ever needing a more powerful scan tool.

Update: you can get it for a lot less now...

Reactions: Rktpwrd
I bought this one from HF. Has done well for me, saved my *ss on an ABS code and live data that many won't do.

I also have a Snap On Solus, buts it's WAY out of date and not worth updating for what I do anymore. I also have an old Snap On brick for OBD1, a GM TECH II , and a couple of other misc cheap scanners including a Bluetooth obd2 dongle for my phone which as $4 plus a $8 Torque app

Last edited:
Reactions: pagrunt and Rktpwrd
I also have the ancient red Snap-On unit. Amazing how often it still comes in handy. But I swear by the OTC and AUTEL OBD-II scanners. EZPZ to use and lots of features. Decent models are under $200 brand new.

To work with my S-10 I went with an OTC OBD I/II capable unit. It is around 20 years out of date for what is now standard but works just fine for what I need. Just finished using it yesterday to do a purge of some codes that had not self deleted after some engine fuel management replacement work.

Nick

Reactions: Bonnewagon
I guess it's the later model stuff I've been exposed to lately that I keep borrowing one for. I can only recall one instance (years ago) where I needed something for an OBD-1 application & even then it was for something that was insignificant.

I guess the most recent things I needed one for were the '07 Envoy Denali's 'christmas tree' dash issue (trying to determine 'actual' issues vs what the dash says); my '99 OBS's CEL (faulty exhaust donut on the o2 sensor side), & a very aggravating, reoccurring, P2096 code for this '14 Miata mx-5 Club car I'm trying to turn around. That being said, seems my needs for one won't be diminishing if I do any future LS swaps so thus the search.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start researching them.....

I have a Crap-on Modis, out of date but works for my junk, and the scope is a nice feature, keeps me from using my old analog one. I have a launch on base for out fleet, nice tool for sure and I like it batter than our Crap-on scanners. I've seen good reviews for the HF one, and looks from the videos to be a copy of the launch and others.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
I bought a used Snapon Solus Ultra that does domestic up to 2018 that has paid for itself time and time again when I was flipping cars, and then at work I have a Autel scanner for our 2023/2024 gm and rams. Both work well, the Autel is a little nicer and a lot cheaper than the Snapon though.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor