should I do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

78FLMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2010
Montverde, FL
I have the chance to trade my 99 2wd suburban for a true vin matching 88 Monte Carlo SS. I really don't need the suburban, and am really tired of spending 400 a month to feed it...But the thing that's throwing me is the difference in the age.

The Monte has a rebuilt 350 in it, and the interior is supposedly spotless, I haven't seen it yet. It seems as though, if I'm reading it right, that the Monte has a higher value than the suburban, but I need it for a daily driver too. As far as I can see in the pictures, the Monte is in need of paint, but otherwise is seems ok.

Just not too sure what to do here. What do you guys think?

Shawn

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
a true vin match 88 monte ss is still valueless. and it's not vin matched with a 350 :blam:
what engine does the suburban have? is it the gen1 or the LS?
if the truck has a gen 1 sbc, and the monte is in really nice shape, then it's worth it. if you have an LS engine, it alone is probably worth more than the monte.

78FLMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2010
Montverde, FL
Well, what I meant by VIN matched is that it is a true SS, not a clone. Granted the 350 in it is not original, but otherwise, everything is.

The suburban has the basic vortec 350. Same one used since 96 up until 99. I believe thats a 1st gen. I wish it was a LS...lol

I wasn't aware that the 88's were valueless. That stinks... :(

Shawn

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
GN's have some value, along with the 442's and H/O's but all very little. IIRC the only g-body that's a real collector is the GNX.
everything else is just a car.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
If your Suburban is a nice one, just keep it. I don't think G-bodies' value will be going up for quite some time.

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
Personally, if the values are the same now, I forsee the G-body's value going up before the Suburban. not to mention you could be getting it painted, etc with the money going into the tank of the suburban which will push the value that much more.
Maybe you should suspect I'd say that since you are on the G-body forum not the Suburban forum. :rofl:

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
83hurst-olds said:
Personally, if the values are the same now, I forsee the G-body's value going up before the Suburban.

Neither one is an investment. Get the one you want.

78FLMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2010
Montverde, FL
Well, I went to look at the SS today. I think I am gonna keep the suburban, and continue working on the Malibu. Besides, the Suburban make a real good parts hauler. :D

There were a few things that caught me off guard on it. For example, it has AC, but oddly was missing the passenger side vent on the dash. I thought they all had that vent...but, it wasn't very optioned out either, no pw, pl, or no tilt or cruise.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor