should I get this GP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys!

It seems to be that every G body nowadays is one of two things. All rusted out and destroyed, or immaculate. This '85 leans more towards the former one. I went over to look at it yesterday. It belongs to a guy at my work. He drove it every day until last week. It has 80k-ish on it I believe. I was actually surprised on how well it ran. The brakes stop well (minor pulsations starting), the suspension seems to re-coil well, and the engine fires right up. The check engine light is on, but the engine runs well. I'd assume that it'd be from the transmission slipping from 1st to 2nd. That's the only mechanical problem I came across. I believe the a/c even works... The car isn't as bad rust-wise as most of them are. There was a minor accident on the front and it caused him to need a new fender and drivers side door. So those are both on there. The only problem is that the drivers side door doesn't open from outside. There is something wrong with the linkage. It opens well from inside. It has the classic 5 spoke rally wheels. It's green with a green landau top and a light green/grey interior. The seats have stains and things on them, as well does the carpet. But the dash and doors and stuff are actually in good condition. It's still PA inspected until August.

I did take pictures with my digi, but the problem is that my dad has it for work. So I can't post any pics until later on. But my question is this, The car is $300. Without seeing it, just from what I've said, does it sound like I should score it? Would I be able to re-sell it for more? I'd be a great dirt-track car. It'd be a completely driveable parts car. Or I could just have it be a project car. A 350 would fit in there real nice...

Thanks guys!!

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
As promised: 8)

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4643.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

The dash and everything aren't too bad. The seats are just a bit spotted. The carpet isn't good, obviously. The drivers side (you can tell if you look closely) is more of an matte army green than the oem color. The drivers side plastic bumper part is just tapped in a little, as is the rear bumper on the passenger side. But overall is isn't bad for $300. You don't see GP's anyways. Any other opinions are EXTREMELY appreciated!!!

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Buy it. I would prob redo it and fix it to some of its glory in my own fashion, but its up to u. Make sure that frame is solid behind the rear wheels b4 doing anything. Check the bottom of the floor pans above the frame rails. If there good, then go for it. The worst case scenario is u clean it and sell it for profit. From the looks of it, that car is about $1,000-$1,200 here in Indy. I don't dig the Green, but I've seen worse. If u end up cleaning to resell it, pull the seats and paint the carpet. Cheap cover up fix that works.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Word up. We're going bac kto look at it in the next few days (probably wednesday). We'll know then for sure if we're taking it. I mean, 300 for a car that runs is nuts. If I wasn't a G body I wouldn't take it. I don't really need a car. But I've always wanted a G body. The car seems pretty straight forward. Me and a friend are doing the body, I'm doing the interior, and me and my dad and grandpa are doing the rest. Almost everything will be done in house. Like it's supposed to be done.

8)

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Naw, I'm with u on that. I like to do everything myself. And have for the most part. I haven't done a total frame off, yet.
Good luck to u and keep us posted on how its going with the project.

easterwabbit

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2006
IL
300 is pennies for that car no matter if the frame is toasted or not

thats nice for the year, these cars are pretty old now and alot of plastic and cloth to wear, and that oens not worn, just a lil dirty,

if it was here id have already bought it long ago

good luck

PiZZaMaN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2006
North Royalton, OH
he already bought it, and is already selling it now this is quite funny....... nvm that was prob intentional

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor