???SHOULD I JUNK A CLASSIC???

Status
Not open for further replies.

22Clean

Apprentice
Mar 22, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'M NEW HERE AND I'VE HAD PLENTY OF GBODIES BUT RECENTLY I'VE PICKED UP A 78 CUTLASS FOR $150.00, GOT IT HOME TO STRIP THE INTEROIR AND FOUND THAT ALMOST THE WHOLE FLOOR WAS RUSTED, THE TRUNK THE DOORS ALONG THE BOTTOM. WELL THANKS TO THE INTERNET I WAS ABLE TO FIND A TRUNK AND THE FLOOR PANS. NOW MY THING IS, WOULD IT BE A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. CUZ WHO KNOWS THE FRAME MIGHT CRACK OR WHO KNOWS WHAT LIES AHEAD. NEEDING SOME ADVISE.
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjjO9IKkGso][/url]

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
The way I see it, unless it's a 442, GN, T-type, SS, Aero, Hurst, 2+2 or something else that makes the car special; it's probably a waste of time & money trying to bring it back. If the floors are in that bad of shape the rear frame rails are probably bad too. These are all things that are on my checklist to look at before I buy a car.

You know what got me started on that? My first G-body was a '79 Malibu with bad frame rails and an elongated rear shock hole from a loose lower shock bolt. Gotta check that stuff man! Chalk it up as a learning experience and eat the cost. Find a better foundation, they're out there.

I have 2 rules. The car either has to be mechanically sound or the body has to be in great shape. Without either you can't do anything with the car.

chiguy109

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2011
well u already have the car so i would take a lil time to look into what i had i would just spend time b4 money snatch the body off u can get if u dont already have a grinder and go to work on the frame just c what u really have before u junk it i bought a 84 regal an sounds like it has the same problems

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Something else to think about is this. Do you have the time, space, tools and skills to fix this stuff or do you have to pay someone to do it? That makes it a whole different ballgame.

22Clean

Apprentice
Mar 22, 2011
Detroit, MI
YOU CAN SEE MORE PICS IN THE PHOTO GALLERY, I DONT KNOW HOW TO UP LOAD THEM TO THE FORUM IT KEEP DENYING THEM. BUT WHEN I TOOK A HAMMER TO THE FRAME IT SOUNDED SOLID AND INSIDE THE TRUNK LOOKS GREAT. ITS JUST THE FLOOR THAT BOTHERS ME. LIKE I SAID I WAS ABLE TO FIND ONE AND A GUY SAID HE'LL PUT IT IN FOR 250. SO I WAS THINKING WHY NOT.

22Clean

Apprentice
Mar 22, 2011
Detroit, MI
OH I PULL AND PUT IN MOTORS ALL DAY WITH PLENTY TOOLS AND BUYIN THEM AS I NEED THEM AND I'M IN SCHOOL NOW LEARNING HOW TO PAINT AND DO BODY WORK AND IM A NATURAL AT IT.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
for 150$ see if you can part out anything, get your money back out of it what you have in it, then junk it. Its not worth it, there's too many nice g bodies out there that will save you years of work and thousands of dollars.

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
But first sell any good part here and make more . I have seen rust bucket have allot of good parts .

Its a cost thing these cars r know for bad frames , floor boards roofs both T top and Vynal . Its up to you . But add price of repairs up I bet you can find a more solid ride for same .

But the interior trim ,chrome, wheel well molding r always being looked 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor