Should I keep my 301?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
shotgun said:
My opinion is these cars are 10 years from gaining any kind of collector status.

What I would do is this, build a mild PONTIAC 350.
To 99% of the people looking will never know the difference. Anything more then a 350 with start to overpower the rest of your drivetrain.

Plus for the collector camp,save anything you remove including the original 301 for someday.

Exactly.........with said 233 made it is rare and will be sought after.
I'm going after one next month and hope I'm buying 10 years before the prices increases 8)

srercrcr, the 5th digit should be a W (4 barrel) rather than a Y (2 barrel)
Weren't all 4 speeds 4 barrel cars?

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
if it's that rare i would keep it. and make unseen mods. like p&p the heads and maybe bigger valves. better cam,flat tops,rebuit carb.
all the little things

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
But 88ss408 you will still be disapointed by the lack of performance. Plus as mentioned their is no reason the car will appreciate better with an especially non matching 301 than say a 350. Just the opposite probably plus when you drive one equally built to the other you will want to dumpster the 301.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
yeah but you just gotta stay realistic with your expections and power goals for the power plant you have.don't expect to make a rocket with a 301 it was never intended for that. but they can make respectable power for what it is. it will cost more that a bigger displacment motor for sure.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I have never read whether all were Ys or Ws.
If you keep it original you'll have something very unique, something nobody on these boards will ever have.
If that doesn't turn you on, the only ones I've seen for sale had asking prices around $5000, but I can't say they sold for that.

6 Grrrs

n00b
Apr 8, 2009
New member here, but wanted to repond in this thread.

I used to own a '78 Grand Prix w/231 Buick V6 & 3 speed manual. It had manual brakes, no A/C, radio delete, bench seat, etc.

I bought it as a beater, but then had a lot of fun with it. It's final iteration was a 406 SBC, T56 6speed, & a 9" Ford rear end with 3.89 gears. It was a blast to drive, but was never a show piece, nor would it ever become a show piece. I parted it out about 9-10 years ago. I still have the pedals, steering column, dash, both SBC & BOP bellhousings/forks, & some other misc items.

I'll own another one someday & may need to recreate. It'll have Pontiac power, though. The reason mine has an SBC is when I blew up the V6, someone gave me a good running 305 2bbl for free. I ran that motor in it for 4-5 years. It ran 14.90 with the 2bbl & a T5 5 speed and 3.08 gears. The final iteration ran 13.70 in the 1/4.

If I were restoring one now, I'd put the 301 & transmission in a corner & build a mild 400 or 455 Pontiac motor for it, with a Tremec TKO behind it. I don't see these cars really bringing the money that older muscle cars bring, but if you don't cut it up, you could always return it to stock in the future.

79gp455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2007
4spd GP....

Just my 2 cents worth.....
Id put a warmed over 350 in it or larger and enjoy the car. As said earlier; Id keep any original parts for possible reinstallation later. Mine had a 301 4bbl in it and it did what it was intended.....got the car from A to B.
It now has a '71 455/ TH400 in it and should be alot of fun and thats what its all about IMHO. If an original 301 4spd turns you on, keep it that way; if you like to drive and enjoy it...Id go bigger. Keep us posted please!

4speed79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2008
Maysville,Ga
Well I've decided to keep the 301 and build it to the specs posted in shotguns link . I think I will keep the rear gears stock but I'll find my build sheet and post the gear ratios for the trans and rear end to see what you guys recommend.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
"p&p the heads and maybe bigger valves. better cam,flat tops", that's chevy speak. :)

If you ever have held the heads and/or intake in your hand you will see porting is a waste of time. They came with "flat tops" from the factory.

The only gear in the 79 buyers guide, that came with mine, says 2.73 is the only gear with the 4-speed.

Mine had the salt flats inspired 2.14z.Nothing like idling at 70mph.

I got a couple 301 engines, even a 301 T block and crank if you need them along with manifold etc.

4speed79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2008
Maysville,Ga
Your right shotgun mine has the 2.73 gears. The trans is geared like the old gm truck transmissions, you could pull stumps in first and run 90 in fourth a 1600-1800 rpm. Do you recommend running the 301 T block and crank? I really don't know much about these pontiac engines I've always been a chevy fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor