should i swap my diesel for gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
sturtz60 said:
whats the avarage price of rebuilding a 403 swap

That depends on how far you want to go with the car. Do you just want a driver or a money pit? Your buddies '86 SS wouldn't be a bad option for parts either. You'd have a complete running drive train with an OD trans, a 3.73 rear end and quick ratio steering. You could even use the 403 with the 200-4R if you wanted to go that route. Part the rest out and make most, if not all your money back.

It just boils down to how much you like the Cutlass and how much trouble it's worth to you. Have you even looked underneath the car to see how solid it is yet? I'd do that before making any other plans. The frame rails, lower door skins and floorboards could be on their way out. I'm not trying to piss on your parade but it's something to think about.

sturtz60

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 1, 2010
northern illinois
thats what i was told befor i bought it the frame is in grate shape the bottom door skins are rusted pre bad along with the floor boared i think thatas bc the window seals needs replaced i dont have a drivers licence so im just building up a car for the hell of it

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
sturtz60 said:
thats what i was told befor i bought it the frame is in grate shape the bottom door skins are rusted pre bad along with the floor boared i think thatas bc the window seals needs replaced i dont have a drivers licence so im just building up a car for the hell of it

I'm assuming you're a younger guy and that's the reason for no license???? Honestly, if this is your first rodeo with a g-body you have your work cut out for you. What's your level of skill to rebuild something for the hell of it? Can you weld? Are you going to farm out the work or do it yourself? Is this going to be a learning experience?

I'm not trying to discourage you by any means but lots of us have been doing this for a long time. I usually know a car i won't touch within the first minute of looking at it because I have rules.

1. it either needs to be a great runner
2. have a solid body, frame and undercarriage
3. good for parts
4. or rare (and valuable)

Learn from other's mistakes. Unless you really like this car, think about if it's a good foundation for you to start dumping a shitload of time and money into.

sturtz60

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 1, 2010
northern illinois
lol ya im 20 but lost my ls due to speeding lol ya this will be my first total resto i normaly buy fix sell cars but ive always had a thing about G bodys when i seen this one along the road for $250 i couldent refuse bc even if i had to junk it id get my money back but i definitly want to fix er up and make her showable

deerhunter

Apprentice
Mar 11, 2010
Summerville, SC
duramax swap? or cummins 4bt or 6bt? sweeeeeet.

deerhunter

Apprentice
Mar 11, 2010
Summerville, SC
i saw that. just thought an updated diesel would be sweet. dunno how your emissions laws are, but in CA if it began life as a diesel then im pretty sure you can swap it for a newer diesel and nobody would care. then no emissions testing. yay! haha just a thought

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Shoot me a PM if you come across any other barnyard or country road scores.....particularly Olds and Pontiac engines. I used to live in Peoria back in the day and I could always find deals on stuff by taking a drive into the country or hitting up the old junkyards. I can't find sh*t up here in Chicago without sacrificing my first born. I'd be willing to throw in a finder's fee if it's something I really want. Keep me in mind with that 403 if you don't use it. I might even be interested in your buddy's SS if he's letting it go for $500.

sturtz60

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 1, 2010
northern illinois
deerhunter said:
i saw that. just thought an updated diesel would be sweet. dunno how your emissions laws are, but in CA if it began life as a diesel then im pretty sure you can swap it for a newer diesel and nobody would care. then no emissions testing. yay! haha just a thought
i dont think we do emissions ither im pretty sure u can run what ever here exept exaust loud pipe give ya tickets lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor