Should pink wire to distributor be 12v or higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is no spark at the plugs i've tested with a good spark tester. I followed this flowchart made it all the way to step 5. At this point i dont know what to do I know pickup coil, and ignition coil is good with multimeter testing and the module is brand new because it comes with the distributor. The only item that comes out at me is at the very bottom check coil wire from cap to coil. This wire is attached to that carbon button. My wire is kinda crooked but i don't know if it is bad or not. same with the carbon button I dont know how to tell if it is bad or not?
HEI_troubleshooting_flow_chart.jpg

So some links say probe the ground terminal on the coil and the button and the range should be between 6000ohms and 30000ohms I get 15000 so that checks. Other references say probe the bat terminal on the coil and the button with the same range. When I do this I get a infinite reading

Last edited:
The carbon button used to come with new cap and rotor kits. But as long as it makes contact with the terminal on top of the rotor then it's ok. You can check continuity of the wire to determine if it's ok or not. In another thread you said you had to use the old harness on the new distributor? You need to check the continuity of all of those wires and bend them while you do it. Is your car computer controlled or no?

hi,

The car has ECM thats where the the old wiring harness connects to. However, I did some research the ecm in my 80 monte has nothing to do with starting. I got a carbon button from lordco hopefully this was the issue cause I've tested the rest power,cap,rotor,coil, pickup coil, new distributor. Sorry I posted two posts I thought I had it solved but I did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor