Shroud, Paint or No Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Got the radiator for my wagon the other day. Since I have an extra early Cutlass shroud I thought using a one piece would be the way to go. Its been hanging on a hook in my garage for a long time. I honestly thought I already painted it the same Duplicolor low gloss black that I used on the AC box but after looking at it yesterday I see that its all original. My buddy suggested spraying it with something like tire dressing to shine it up. Did that today and along the top you can still see where the adhesive was for a label. I didnt want to sand the thing because I dont want to break the smooth surface of the plastic. Did that to an inner fender and it just made more work.
So my choice is cleaning all over again, spraying it with adhesion promoter and doing it in the Duplicolor like I did to the one in the 81. Or, leave it original.
What do you guys think ?

I also have a quart of SEM matte clear. I could clear it but I dont know how that would look.

IMG_0607.jpg
IMG_0608.jpg
IMG_0609.jpg

The low gloss black doesnt look too bad in the 81.

IMG_1628 (3).JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I've used spray bombs formulated to bond with plastic. I can't remember what if I used satin or low gloss on my two shrouds. Picked them up at Wally World.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I wouldn't do it without an adhesion promoter, but I also don't l Iike Armour All on tires.

I used Formula 303 on the shroud. Its the only thing I use on the plastic interior parts in my trucks. Back in the day I used Armour All on my tires. Then I switched over to Ardex tire dressing. All that crap does is attract dust on to the rubber. Same with the dressings out there for black exterior trim. Looks good the first time but the plastic looks like crap after a year. When the dealer was prepping my daughters new Grand Cherokee I told them not to use anything on the outside except for a coat of wax.

As far as the shroud, looks like Im going to clean it tomorrow and the first day its not humid I'll paint it. More work. LOL

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I use a citrus-oil based degreaser on plastics, leaves it with a sheen without fear of peeling down the road. Smells good too!

Not a fan of painted plastics underhood

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor