Silver face tach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
grandamman said:
1978 Grand Am, Grand Prix and Lemans used the silver faced gauges with woodgrain bezels. 1979 and 1980 had black gauges and the silver bezel. (Lemans may have stayed with woodgrain) 1980 and beond had the black faced gauges as well and used woodgrain bezels again.

Here is a set of 1978 gauges and tach in Philly
I can tell you this is an honest seller that I know personally. If no one buys them soon, I will :lol:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/2055453341.html

Those are mine if he gets back to me. Could care less about the speedo but I want that tach! My '78 Grand Lemans had the silver face too but no tach. I could also use a working dash clock (the one above the glove box) if anyone has one.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That dash really looks cool. Great score! Yes, it is super rare. I heard the reason they dropped the silver faced gauges was that they were really hard to see due to glare. I can't judge because I never drove a car with them. GP403 is that true since you have them?

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Bonnewagon said:
I heard the reason they dropped the silver faced gauges was that they were really hard to see due to glare.

This is the 2nd car I've had with them and I don't think they're too bad with glare. They'd probably be much worse if they weren't recessed in the dash.

longhorncutlass

Apprentice
Jun 16, 2008
Texas
Yes, a few of the '78 cutlass models did come with silver faced gauges. They look great. In fact, I have an '87 Cutty with the standard black gauges and found a silver faced set of them in the boneyard and swapped out the black gauge surround bezel with the silver one from the '78. It looks great. Don't have a picture, unfortunately. The gauges in my car are still black with white lettering, but the frame bezel that surrounds the gauges is silver faced and really sets off the black gauges.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
I have a set of silver gauges in my lemans that I pulled out of a 78 in a boneyard. My cluster however does not have the tack and gauges, only idiot lights. I am still trying to find the gauges instead. They are easy to read in the day and I have no problems from glare but they ae a little hard to read at night (the speedo anyway) because of the lighting. I am trying different bulbs to see what works best.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Proof that I don't bullshit when I say I'm looking for something! Thanks to Ken in Downingtown, PA

downsize-14.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor