Single stage black help

Status
Not open for further replies.

isaiah133

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2017
I second Southern Polyurethanes. I've never sprayed their black but I've heard it's fantastic.

I just sprayed my El Camino with their single-stage white. I'm just finishing it up now:

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_09092.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

I did color sand and buff the car. As sprayed:

IMG_6039.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG
God that is beautiful making me debate debate white lol that does look good where'd you get your paint by chance

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I bought it direct from SPI. Shipping is free.
Black or white ss is $236 a gallon and I'd wager it's better than PPG's best. Their epoxy primer and clears are second to none as well.

Their paints spray super with an Iwata LPH400 and since that 's the gun the Barry (owner of SPI) uses, he will gladly tell you exactly how to set your gun.
White is going to be more difficult to spray smooth than black because the white colorants are very heavy. Sprays plenty smooth if you are going to color sand and buff though.

isaiah133

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2017
I bought it direct from SPI. Shipping is free.
Black or white ss is $236 a gallon and I'd wager it's better than PPG's best. Their epoxy primer and clears are second to none as well.

Their paints spray super with an Iwata LPH400 and since that 's the gun the Barry (owner of SPI) uses, he will gladly tell you exactly how to set your gun.
White is going to be more difficult to spray smooth than black because the white colorants are very heavy. Sprays plenty smooth if you are going to color sand and buff though.
Thanks gave them a call said I could buy direct I ordered one gallon for now hopefully it's enough also found a deal on some Monte Carlo ss parts got me a center console and seat mounts

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
4 questions for you:
Did you go with black or change to white?
Are you going to paint the door jambs and inside the bed too?
Are you going to color sand and polish?
What spray gun do you intend to use with it?

isaiah133

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2017
4 questions for you:
Did you go with black or change to white?
Are you going to paint the door jambs and inside the bed too?
Are you going to color sand and polish?
What spray gun do you intend to use with it?
I'm going with black and the jambs will be painted the bed will not be painted it's getting a textured liner and have a tonneau coverand hopefully color sand and I am using a devilsbliss gun with a 1.4 tip as the manufacture recommend it

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I'm thinking one gallon won't be enough. It wouldn't be for me. When color sanding I think 3 coats is minimum and 4 preferable. However, if you spray this black on black primer, it will cover in 1 coat. But I'd say 2 coats for good measure if not color sanding and 3 or 4 if you are.

What prep are you planning on and are you stripping it or painting over old paint?

isaiah133

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2017
I'm thinking one gallon won't be enough. It wouldn't be for me. When color sanding I think 3 coats is minimum and 4 preferable. However, if you spray this black on black primer, it will cover in 1 coat. But I'd say 2 coats for good measure if not color sanding and 3 or 4 if you are.

What prep are you planning on and are you stripping it or painting over old paint?
The car has been tooking down to bare metal sprayed with grey primer 3 coats of 2k high build blocked out all the way up to 600 so far

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
The car has been tooking down to bare metal sprayed with grey primer 3 coats of 2k high build blocked out all the way up to 600 so far
This is what I would do if I were you:
Buy some SPI black epoxy primer and spray on a 30% reduced coat on the car with your 1.4 gun. Wait at least an hour and then spray on your black paint. The epoxy will act as both a sealer and an adhesion coat.

isaiah133

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2017
This is what I would do if I were you:
Buy some SPI black epoxy primer and spray on a 30% reduced coat on the car with your 1.4 gun. Wait at least an hour and then spray on your black paint. The epoxy will act as both a sealer and an adhesion coat.
Alright sounds good and I added another gallon of paint as well as clear and primer sealer thanks for all the help man

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor