Small Chevy block pump=with return or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I noticed today my 87 SS has a stock style deep engine block mounted fuel pump with return. I always run the regular block pumps with no return. Any advantage to running a return on a basic 600 Holley? I need to buy a new pump anyway so don't know whether to get one with or without return.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Only reason I'd get the one with the return is to not have any unhooked hoses

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
It's a vapor return, in case fuel gets heated between tank and pump causing vapor. Also it helps as a relief under deceleration.
From pump to carb vapour is handled threw the canister and without the canister hot vapour gets spit out threw carb into air.This 3 part system helps to remove vapour lock .

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I would go with the return. It has a little higher pressure which raises the boiling point of the fuel. Helps prevent carburetor boil over(flooding) on hot days after you shut the car off. Remember the car is at its hottest after you turn it off for a little while. We need all the help we can get with these carbureted cars as fuels today are designed for fuel injection

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor