Smoking 383

Status
Not open for further replies.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
It doesn't seem to be pulling from the intake anymore. If I take the cap and PCV hose off, it'll puff outta the cover, not get sucked in.
Hey, I don't know man. The intake is a brand new RPM Air-Gap with Fel-Pro gaskets with the little blue rubber rim around all the ports.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
383Camino said:
If I take the cap and PCV hose off, it'll puff outta the cover, not get sucked in.

the PCV receives vaccum from the carb. PCV stands for postive crankcase ventilation and there is no vaccum created in the valve covers

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
At least there shouldn't be. I'm wondering, when you inspect the sparkplugs are all of them pretty oily or only some of them?

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
No, there shouldn't be. I dunno guys...I called my machine shop today for some advice, and he suggested that since my valve covers have no baffles in them and I am getting oil up the PCV hose into the carb, the M/T cast aluminum covers could very well be my problem. It seems to smoke a lot less now and a lot less often (I've driven it few times now).

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
383Camino said:
No, there shouldn't be. I dunno guys...I called my machine shop today for some advice, and he suggested that since my valve covers have no baffles in them and I am getting oil up the PCV hose into the carb, the M/T cast aluminum covers could very well be my problem. It seems to smoke a lot less now and a lot less often (I've driven it few times now).

was the engine sitting around for a period of time. I fit was it could be the rings were stuck and they are starting to free up. Also what kind of oil are you using?

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
The engine sat all winter, but I drove it around before the manifold install without this smoke. Also, it didn't do this last spring after it came out of hibernation. I'm using Valvoline 10-W30, because at 1 quart/50 miles, I can't afford to burn that much synthetic.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
383Camino said:
The engine sat all winter, but I drove it around before the manifold install without this smoke. Also, it didn't do this last spring after it came out of hibernation. I'm using Valvoline 10-W30, because at 1 quart/50 miles, I can't afford to burn that much synthetic.

then the problem has to be with the new install....why not just remove it and see where the problem is. It could be a defective manifold gasket.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Well folks, it looks like my problem was those M/T valve covers. We made a baffle for the PCV valve and no more oil consumption. GREAT day in the neighborhood today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor