Smoking issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.

eso80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2018
East Coast
So I've jus got done with a mini project...1980 Delta 88; Olds 350 5.7, gas. Did an ac delete, and replaced my power steering pump, thermostat/housing, and removed my entire smog system. Also plugged the 8 holes in the block, one on the intake manifold, and hooked everything back up. Fired it...and noticed my valve covers were both leaking...so theres a new project. Question is for the cabin and pulleys. The belts arent jumping and I have no leaks but the GEN light is on and theres a squeak from the pulleys as it runs. My buddy told me about converting from a 3 belt pulley to a 2 belt due to the ac delete and sounds as its running. Common sense would say yes, but I figured I'd ask if this was a step that I missed? When I turn the wheel it squeaks, I notice slack in the belt when the car is off and I check the tension...so just making sure that's what it is. Any and all help always appreciated, peace..

Last edited:

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
There shouldn't be slack in any belt. That'll cause a squeak...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I suggest the metal core rubber valve cover gaskets like Rocket Racing sells. When you remove the A/C set up on an Olds V8, unless you have a double groove power steering pulley and triple groove crank pulley, the alternator belt isn't properly driven. It will squeal until it burns off, ask me how I know.

eso80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2018
East Coast
I suggest the metal core rubber valve cover gaskets like Rocket Racing sells. When you remove the A/C set up on an Olds V8, unless you have a double groove power steering pulley and triple groove crank pulley, the alternator belt isn't properly driven. It will squeal until it burns off, ask me how I know.

ha, unfortunately i believe ya. so its beat to swap my crank pulley and power steering pulley? not that im questioning you! just figured I'd just have to swap to a double groove water pump and be alright. but sir, I'm all ears...haha

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You have to be careful Olds used 4 different length water pump and the pulleys match the water pump. Your car should have the 6" longest water pump. Get a triple pulley set up from a wrecker, the dual grooved ps pulley isn't completely necessary. You need two belts running off the crank for the power steering and alternator. One belt off the crank just isn't enough for both accessories, since the alt just drives off the water pump.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I had the same issue when I removed my AC belt. I solved it by adding the double grooved power steering pulley to help the belt wrap on the water pump pulley.

eso80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2018
East Coast
update: ...power steering pump didnt have the adjusment bracket bolt in it. i pulled it from the yard an like an *ss, didnt check it. post new valve cover gaskets, everything is running smoothly. received a edelbrock 1406 carb from a buddy at the shop, so i will be rebuilding it. ..if anyones interested in a quadrajet 4 barrel carb, i will be selling one soon. lol, appreciate the help all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor