CUTLASS So......I bought a car....(smh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
As others have already pointed out, give the entire car a good thorough inspection before you start sinking any more money in it. Make sure that there are no major rust issues with the body, floors, trunk and frame (especially the frame rails behind the rear wheels). If those areas look good, then I would say go ahead and start on it. In terms of the chassis, suspension and brakes, most '78-'88 GM A/G body cars are the same. In most cases, what works for a 2 door, will work on a 4 door or wagon. I would say, see what needs to be done to the car as it is, to getting it up and running safely first, then do modifications that will make it more enjoyable for you and your son, that are within your means. Have fun with it.

Reactions: 1 users

Olgambler84

Apprentice
Dec 26, 2018
I have parts and a new front end if you’re looking for 4 eyes instead of 2 😎

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Look, you bought it cheap. You can use it as a test bench for the kid to learn, and make mistakes, without needing to make perfect.

If it's got a v6, find someone who is doing a v8 swap in a good running v6car. I see then trying to almost give them away, $200 WITH trans all the time, they start off more expensive with videos running. Wait a month or two, all of a sudden the effort of draining fluids and hauling for scrap just to get space back looks annoying and they take whatever they can get if you pick up.

So there's a cracked trim piece here or ding there... so what? It's a $300 car you can learn on as a high schooler. After a couple years then decide whether to mod it out or upgrade things.

You really want to come out ahead, sell the original converter for precious metals, it should pay for over 1/3 of the car even with the replacement cost. Sell a couple unimportant bits/pieces like the hubcaps, a radio/bezel, eventually the car is paid off.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Since you already own a Jeep that tells me you are used to sinking money in to a car so as long as this new car has a solid platform you can do whatever you want to do with your new find.

Great minds think alike!!

-Gonz

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Reminds me of the Regal I had a few years ago...
4-doors can be fun, too... just don't ever expect it to be worth anything

WP_001301.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
WELOCME! i would like to first off say, I think its so commendable that you want to do this project with your son. I think thats half of whats "wrong" with kids today, is parents are too busy to have family time, hence why kids are always in trouble, just looking for attention. SOOOO I think your idea is awesome, and since your wife is on board TOO, and for that incredible price, the seller can pay his rent, it was an all around win win for everyone! What a great project for your son to learn on to get to know the basics of automotive engineering, PRE computer age!! (almost ;) As so many awesome members have said here, I would get the drive train running great and then worry about the rest of it, as long as the undercarriage is not all rusted to he**. I always have a heart for the 4 doors and the oddities, Its always nice to see one in the ocean of G body coupes. I find myself at car shows looking at row after row of G body coupes, and will spot a sedan, and will find myself at a quick pace walking to go see it lol, Love them. I wish you and your family the very best of luck with this awesome project, and always go with your heart as you did when you purchased it, no matter what anyone says, because the heart of the matter is you wanted to do this project with your son, and its doesnt get anymore comedable than that.

Reactions: 3 users

Smack-it

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2018
Don't worry about checking it out. For that price....engine is shot. Go get a LS and make a sleeper. Get your kid pumped about it, then he'll never have money for drugs!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor