Solder or crimp??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
What is everyones opinion for the best way to connect wires together, solder or crimp. I have heard alot of mixed feelings about this and would like some input from you all.

it depends on whether or not you can PROPERLY solder. technically you should actually use solder crimp-connectors for added security, with heat shrink tubing. but if you are mediocre or less at soldering then use quality crimp connectors and heat shrink.
soldering can make the wire brittle, leading to cracks and breakage. this is why a solder connector is a good idea, it contains the brittle section in a solid tube. but most people extend the solder past the tube, negating the advantage.
but solder connections have much less resistance as the electrons can flow straight through, whereas a crimp connector only has a small flow path. typically along the connector walls.

What I have heard is that solder has more resistance. I guess I will have to get off my *ss and actually test the connections :x :lol:

gm soldered alot of their connections. all of their splices are soldered, as are some pins in exterior connectors(i think the headlight connectors). but as megaladon6 says, it helps if you can properly solder. otherwise you could cause more problems than its worth.

i have always soldered my radio connections. then did shrink tube on top of that. never had a problem once. i have had crimp connectors come undone before though which is a pain to have to go back and fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor