solenoid ground

Bengler455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2022
So I mounted my starter solenoid to the plastic fender liner, would a 10G wire directly to the battery be a good enough ground? Or should I go bigger? Thanks!!

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
So I mounted my starter solenoid to the plastic fender liner, would a 10G wire directly to the battery be a good enough ground? Or should I go bigger? Thanks!!
the best ground is metal to metal but in your case the bigger/shorter the better.when it comes to grounds it's cheap insurance.

Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
If this is the "ground" for the solenoid coil, then 10ga to the frame, body or straight back to the battery would be fine. The solenoid coil doesn't use a helluva lot of current. The positive wire to the starter (obviously) should be very heavy gauge. The starter return path (negative) is through the block and back to the negative side of the battery through whatever heavy azz gauge wire you have from the batt neg to the block. I should draw this up...

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Getting back to the original question. Good enough, yes it's good enough. Is it required, NO. A giant ground wire is not required on something that does not need to be grounded to work.
A relay under the hood of a modern car is not grounded but I'm still wondering why your solenoid is not on the starter?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor