Sound deadening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
my sq master uses the material you would use on your bed..(foam stuff with all the ripples in it)

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks so much for your recommendations regarding product and prep, guys. At least now I can do some comparison shopping.
Sounds like the 80 mil stuff is the way to go. As to the amount, I guess it's better to have too much than not enough.

Did you guys also do inside your door skins? I'm considering that, if it's even necessary.

Muchas gracias.. :D Happy Holidays.

iameggor

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2011
Montana
I probably added about 35 pounds but my Olds 455 should compensate for that :lol:

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
I'd recommend fatmat too. I've used the roofing material, dynamat, and fatmat in the past and the fatmat was just as good as dynamat. In my 94 caprice all I currently have done is the inner and outter door skins of all 4 doors, doubled up in some spots along with the entire trunk. Even without the floor and roof done it made a huge difference in road and exhaust noise from dual 2 1/2" pipes.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
cashmoneyspeed said:
I'd recommend fatmat too. I've used the roofing material, dynamat, and fatmat in the past and the fatmat was just as good as dynamat. In my 94 caprice all I currently have done is the inner and outter door skins of all 4 doors, doubled up in some spots along with the entire trunk. Even without the floor and roof done it made a huge difference in road and exhaust noise from dual 2 1/2" pipes.

Thanks man. I appreciate your input. I think Fatmat is going to be IT.

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
I used Dynamat on my interior. The heavy mat stuff. I wrapped up the body in a tarp and put it outside my shop when i started my build over. It grew some minor mold over the many months and I tore it up pretty good when removing it. What a glorious use of $250.

I still kept it though, stuck it on a big piece of polyplastic and rolled it up. Plannin to wash it and then use some aeresol adhesive to re-apply when I get back to that stage. I would use the tin-foil looking type stuff if i had to do it again, the thick mat kind is just so damn heavy and a pain to use. Also want to look into sprayable stuff to apply as a top or midcoat inside, would be great for all those tricky areas that cant be covered.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Hey Jack,

Well whether dumb luck or the payoff of research combined with my dislike of purchasing stuff nobody is gonna see, I too bought Fatmat. I still have concerns but I can't provide feedback as yet because this is a project I'm just getting to now that the body is back on the frame.

Living in Arizona, one needs to be cognizant of interior temperatures. May not be an issue where you live but here the outside temps can get to over 115F in the summer consistently. And while I probably won’t be flogging the car on those days, I don’t have an Air Conditioned garage either.

That said, I’ve read that all or at least most of these noise/sound deadening materials have a residual odor when exposed to extended heat thermal cycles. Whether that’s true or not, I don’t know. I guess I’m about to find out.
If it smells like grape bubble gum, it can smell all it wants to. If it smells like tar, that’s another story. :wtf:
:hijack: Certainly don’t want to hijack your thread but I am curious if anyone has firsthand experience with this kind of heat exposure and what the end analysis is.

Glad you’re working on your hot rod, anticipation definately counts. Half the time associated with building one of these things is deciding what to do next and researching how not to do it. … :blam:

Scott, ... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Carlola said:
I used Dynamat on my interior. The heavy mat stuff. I wrapped up the body in a tarp and put it outside my shop when i started my build over. It grew some minor mold over the many months and I tore it up pretty good when removing it. What a glorious use of $250.

I still kept it though, stuck it on a big piece of polyplastic and rolled it up. Plannin to wash it and then use some aeresol adhesive to re-apply when I get back to that stage. I would use the tin-foil looking type stuff if i had to do it again, the thick mat kind is just so damn heavy and a pain to use. Also want to look into sprayable stuff to apply as a top or midcoat inside, would be great for all those tricky areas that cant be covered.

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with mold. That could certainly ruin one's day. I'm glad to hear that at least it's salvageable. I do plan on using the foil backed stuff.
Thanks for your suggestion about using sprayable stuff to get into the nooks and crannies. I suppose that could work inside the doors, etc. Good luck with your project.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
ssbrewskyaz said:
Hey Jack,

Well whether dumb luck or the payoff of research combined with my dislike of purchasing stuff nobody is gonna see, I too bought Fatmat. I still have concerns but I can't provide feedback as yet because this is a project I'm just getting to now that the body is back on the frame.

Living in Arizona, one needs to be cognizant of interior temperatures. May not be an issue where you live but here the outside temps can get to over 115F in the summer consistently. And while I probably won’t be flogging the car on those days, I don’t have an Air Conditioned garage either.

That said, I’ve read that all or at least most of these noise/sound deadening materials have a residual odor when exposed to extended heat thermal cycles. Whether that’s true or not, I don’t know. I guess I’m about to find out.
If it smells like grape bubble gum, it can smell all it wants to. If it smells like tar, that’s another story. :wtf:
:hijack: Certainly don’t want to hijack your thread but I am curious if anyone has firsthand experience with this kind of heat exposure and what the end analysis is.

Glad you’re working on your hot rod, anticipation definately counts. Half the time associated with building one of these things is deciding what to do next and researching how not to do it. … :blam:

Scott, ... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :?

Hi Scott,
It's good to hear (and see) that you have the body back on the frame. I'm sure that makes you feel better that things are moving along.
I have been reading up on several forums regarding the various sound deadening products out there. Several guys have expressed a concern regarding the odor factor. From my understanding, it is a rubberized/ asphalt based product.
Some guys mentioned smelling a faint odor, others said they smelled nothing. It could also depend on how sensitive your sense of smell is.
Being in a hot climate can make a difference. However,It does get hot and humid where I am...not quite as hot as Arizona though. I'd also like to hear what others have to say about the odor factor.

Yeah, I'm anxious about being able to get it road worthy again. I kinda miss driving it.

A question for you. What will you be using for felt window channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor