spark plug wire diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoney87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2010
i have an 85 cutlass with a 231 v-6 i let a friend do a tune up and he got the wires all mixed up does anyone have a diagram or picture of how they are really supposed to go? or tell me the location of the firing order and placement on the distributar? thanks

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
1AA520F.jpg

is this right guys?

emoney87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2010
tryed that car wont even start maybe i got #1 in the wrong spot my dist. is turned a lil different compared to the diagram

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
you might have the distributer 180deg off timing, which means it might be on *ss-backwards... which means your getting spark probably on the exhaust stroke.
... turn the distributer around 180deg, then re-route the wires like shown.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Whoa, before pulling the distributor did you even pull it to begin with or was this just a simple tune up?

If you didn't mess with the distributor then don't pull it! It's likely in the correct position if the car ran before changing the plug wires.

The only bad thing about that above diagram is it doesn't tell you which direction the engine is facing. However just so we all know, the front of the engine is to the right in that pic. So your #1 cylinder at the top is the front drivers side.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
FE3X CLONE said:
Whoa, before pulling the distributor did you even pull it to begin with or was this just a simple tune up?
oops, :oops:
good call...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
take number 1 plug out and stick your finger in the spark plug hole while someone turns the engine over one click at a time so you can find the compression stoke, then line up the timing mark to 0 on the balancer and then check to make sure the rotor is pointing at number 1 on the distributor cap.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
78 salon said:
I wouldn't stick my finger "in" the sparkplug hole, just cover it with your finger, then continue. Those pistons have sharp teeth. :mrgreen:

thanks for the warning....I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone losing a finger even though the finger must be kinda small if it can fit into a spark plug hole....and then again if the piston travels far enough to cut off a finger tip then I think he has more problems than just trying to set the timing.. 8) ....

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
pontiacgp said:
78 salon said:
I wouldn't stick my finger "in" the sparkplug hole, just cover it with your finger, then continue. Those pistons have sharp teeth. :mrgreen:

the finger must be kinda small if it can fit into a spark plug hole
you know what they say about small fingers...?

SMALL_PENIS.jpg

:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor