speaker question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
i had to force them in, but it just barely clears once installed.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
metra adapters? mine just dropped in the same holes as the stock ones

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I used them before to put a set of Eclipse 6x9's in. A little tight but the speakers sounded great. Since then I've taken those out and installed Clarion Pro Audio 5 1/4 components in my rear sides. Most 6x9's should fit for ya.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The magnets hit the torsion bars in my car. I put some foam tape in between the magnets and bars in mine to keep them from making noise.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
The magnets hit the torsion bars in my car. I put some foam tape in between the magnets and bars in mine to keep them from making noise.

Dunno if they were the same brand or not but I had 4x10 to 6x9 adapters taht I used in both my 86 and the 87. They hit the torsion bars without a doubt and often the closing of the trunk knocked them down ... if at all possible try and locate an 81 ... they had hydrolic lifts in the trunk not the torsion bars ... much cleaner looking

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
walkeraviator said:
78mali350 said:

Monte Carlos from 81-88 had 4x10s from the factory and require an adapter to run 6x9's

Well they're not 'required'. My old Bonneville had 6x9s installed when I got it. They were old ones from the mid 80s. No adapters were used. They just put long screws in at an angle and tightened them as much as possible.

Now this may sound like a crappy set up. But after I installed a 50 watt/channel CD player they pounded hard enough that a few people thought I had a small sub in the trunk.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Phoenyx said:
walkeraviator said:
78mali350 said:

Monte Carlos from 81-88 had 4x10s from the factory and require an adapter to run 6x9's

Well they're not 'required'. My old Bonneville had 6x9s installed when I got it. They were old ones from the mid 80s. No adapters were used. They just put long screws in at an angle and tightened them as much as possible.

Now this may sound like a crappy set up. But after I installed a 50 watt/channel CD player they pounded hard enough that a few people thought I had a small sub in the trunk.

A Bonneville is a totally different critter. They have big package trays. I beleive GM put 6x9s in them at the factory not the 4x10 you see a 2 door A/G body 78-88

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor