Specialty Insurance: Who has made a claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am still looking at specialty car insurance for my 86' Regal and I have 3 different quotes right now but the real question is not who has the best price but who will take care of you when you have a major claim, I am looking for experiences with the good and the bad if you have made a claim especially a payout on agreed value.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Hagerty insurance for 10 years. Only made one claim for a deer hit. No hassles in payout, and no change in rates. Very happy with them.

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've had Grundy for seemingly forever. No change in rates since I got it. Agreed value policies. Only thing I don't like about the whole thing is that my parts stash isn't covered. Normally it would be, but South Carolina doesn't allow for it. Bastages.

I just snapped a few pictures all around the cars, and sent them in and got my quotes and all that. Pretty reasonable when you think about it. No mileage constraints, although it needs to be in a locked garage and all that rot and not your daily driver.

I'm hoping to never personally find out how they pay out on a loss, but a couple people I know had some incidents and they said they got the estimates, approvals, and they cut them a check. No problems.

I'm guessing your bigger collector car companies do it right for the most part, so if you go Hagerty, Grundy, ACI, whichever, I think you'll be ok. Some of the regular insurance companies have jumped into the collector car insurance market. Allstate, State Farm, and even Geico has a collector car insurance, although I'm not sure about them in general. I'd stick with the people who's business model is founded on collector car insurance. JMO.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
I have American Modern for my Camaro. Had a small accident and they were quick to write out a check for the repairs with no deductable. I am paying $140 a year based on $5000 agreed value; however that value is much too low. It was my fault for not raising that up. You want to make sure that value is appropriately set. If any damage occurs over the agreed value, they have first rights to take the car. When I get a 3rd car to replace my Oldsmobile, I will put that Oldsmobile on the same policy. I have had them for over 20 years with no issue.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I have Berkley Classics, I used to have Haggerty until one year my premium jumped up significantly without any reason (no tickets/accidents, didn't move). Never had a claim, knock on wood. Both were easy to deal with in getting setup and the agreed values, I did have to submit pictures of a couple of the cars when I wanted to bump up the values, just bumped them all up this time for my new policy period which coincidentally starts today.

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
I have American Modern for my personal car, my hood latch failed a few years back and destroyed the dashboard, hood, windshield, and moldings. The payout was a little slow, but the claims adjuster I had made sure to double-check everything and knew I would fix it myself so they included a bit for my personal labor. All in all, I'm extremely pleased, my yearly rate isn't bad and they have been great in answering any questions that I have had.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I am still looking at specialty car insurance for my 86' Regal and I have 3 different quotes right now but the real question is not who has the best price but who will take care of you when you have a major claim, I am looking for experiences with the good and the bad if you have made a claim especially a payout on agreed value.
Out of curiosity, how are you insuring your MC? Here in the great state of Cuomo free government I cannot get my MC insured because it's technically not a streetable car despite it will pass NYS safety inspection. So I have to lie to my insurance company about the physical attributes of the car.

Haggerty was unable to insure my car in NY.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Out of curiosity, how are you insuring your MC?
My Monte has Leland West insurance with agreed value and the buyback option and they know it has a cage and nitrous, but when I contacted them for the Regal they said they could only insure it for $5,000 because it is a Limited and not a GN or T-Type even though I sent them pictures showing how much it has been modified.
So now I am looking for something for the Regal and I am basically down to Grundy or Haggerty with Grundy being significantly cheaper for a year

Reactions: 1 user

James84SS

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2018
Detroit area
As far as the repair end of Haggerty, the shop I work at is a Haggerty approved repair shop. Never had an issue with any estimates we've gave them. Get it in, get it done and get paid. I also have Haggerty on my Monte.

chevyryda

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2021
I’m with Hagerty. Does anyone know if the value you set cover vehicle theft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor