speedometer cable replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
do u have to pull the cluster to replace the speedo gear? and how do i remove it. i was looking at it and it looks like there is 4or so screws holding in the trim around the vents and cluster. i assume if i remove those i can pull the trim off and access the screws holding the cluster in place. am i right?

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
What are you working on bjohn?

Mine had four nuts holding the cluster in place. The only thing holding the cable to the actual cluster on mine is a type of clip. Once you push it in with a flat head screwdriver, the cable itself slide right off.

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
patmckinneyracing said:
What are you working on bjohn?

Mine had four nuts holding the cluster in place. The only thing holding the cable to the actual cluster on mine is a type of clip. Once you push it in with a flat head screwdriver, the cable itself slide right off.
82 cutlass salon. this is not it in the pic. but the dash is the same setup.

Attachments

• cutlassinterior.jpg
    cutlassinterior.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,880

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
well tomorrow ill pull those screws and see what is holding the cluster in once i get the trim panel off.

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
bjohn07 said:
well tomorrow ill pull those screws and see what is holding the cluster in once i get the trim panel off.
once u take the four nuts off the u just pull the cluster out some then reach behind the cluster and push the clip down thats holding the speedo cable in place then the cable will come right off all u do after that is pull it thru the firewall

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
bjohn07 said:
do u have to pull the cluster to replace the speedo gear? and how do i remove it. i was looking at it and it looks like there is 4or so screws holding in the trim around the vents and cluster. i assume if i remove those i can pull the trim off and access the screws holding the cluster in place. am i right?

If you talking about the speedo gear, those are located in your transmission.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
monte olrac said:
bjohn07 said:

X2 on the speedo gear it's in the transmission near the tailshaft....BTW, I gotta replace my cable as well. Let me know how much of a pain in the a$$ it was :)

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
monte olrac said:
bjohn07 said:

no im talking about removing the cable from the speedometer gauge. i meant to put gauge not gear.

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
best way I have found is use a piece of string or light guage wire and tape it to the old cable then pull it thru the firewall tape it up to the new cable and pull it right back into place like 5 min or less... if you just pull it out you will play hell getting it back in thru all the nooks and crannies in the dash :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor