Kitchener, Ontario
index.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

MontesbyE

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2020
North Carolina
Your choke seems fine, rule of thumb ive found is about an 1/8 inch gap gets you in the ballpark. Sounds like to me, accel pump and your secondary barrels are too loose. Classic issues with the quadrajet. Those secondary's are pretty big and will gulp some air when called upon. Enough to stall you out, especially if the accelerator pump isn't up to par. Start with a carb rebuild..

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Your choke seems fine, rule of thumb ive found is about an 1/8 inch gap gets you in the ballpark. Sounds like to me, accel pump and your secondary barrels are too loose. Classic issues with the quadrajet. Those secondary's are pretty big and will gulp some air when called upon. Enough to stall you out, especially if the accelerator pump isn't up to par. Start with a carb rebuild..

secondaries are mechanical and won't open under partial acceleration

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Start with a carb rebuild..
Thats what I was trying to diagnose if its a tuning issue or if it needs rebuilt. The OP is very new to working on cars so Im sure he would not know where to start looking for somebody to rebuild the carb. Perhaps you will do it for the OP.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
i did not drive it cold , usually let the car run for 5-10 mins before driving .

it has an electric choke i know that, but i don’t know how to tell if it’s working correctly

there is power that is going to the choke thermostat , checked with a voltmeter
That does look like its close when its cold, after running 5-10 minutes the choke plate would be standing straight up.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
this is how i found the choke blade, cold engine.

is that partially open? should it be closed?
That is a Dualjet, the smaller 2bbl version of the Quadrajet. It only has primaries, no secondary. Looks like someone removed the anti-tampering plug for the idle air bypass valve.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
265 engines only came with dual jets in 81. I don't know what putting oil on the accelerator pump shaft would do, there is no seal, just a close tolerance fit.

This screams of a worn out accelerator pump cup. The top of the carb needs to be removed to access to it.
Best to have the carb overhauled and adjusted.
You can do it yourself. You'll need the following;
Carb kit
Hand tools
Gm service manual
You tube videos
Patients, lots of patients. And i mean lots of patients if you haven't done this before

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor