Stalls when hitting gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Hello everyone,

I need some guidance trying to figure this out. When hitting the gas from a complete stop the engine stalls/cuts out or it hesitates
to take off. Best way i can describe it, i’m not mechanic savvy, i know some basic stuff :)

This is my first project car

I’ve done the following trying to fix it:

-new spark plugs
-new wires
-new fuel filter
-new EGR valve
-new o2 sensor
-clean carburetor (did not take it out)
-new gas
-fuel system cleaner

Could it be IAC? Bar sensor? Fuel pump?
Carburetor needs adjusting? (idle sounds fine to me)

thank you everyone , i want to fully enjoy this ride :)

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Possibly the choke not working properly or vaccum leak, kind of hard to diagnose online. I doubt if its a sensor.
Does it run better with a hot or cold engine?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm confused, you mentioned O2 sensor, carb, and IAC in the same post. Do you have one of those late qjets that trims itself? If so, it sounds like an accelerator pump issue which is what MontesbyE was slowly getting at.

Reactions: 1 user

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
I'm confused, you mentioned O2 sensor, carb, and IAC in the same post. Do you have one of those late qjets that trims itself? If so, it sounds like an accelerator pump issue which is what MontesbyE was slowly getting at.
it’s an 81 265 engine , qjet that trims itself? sorry i don’t understand, i believe it’s a 4 barrel.

how difficult would be to replace accelerator pump?

Last edited:

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Possibly the choke not working properly or vaccum leak, kind of hard to diagnose online. I doubt if its a sensor.
Does it run better with a hot or cold engine?
i did not drive it cold , usually let the car run for 5-10 mins before driving .

it has an electric choke i know that, but i don’t know how to tell if it’s working correctly

there is power that is going to the choke thermostat , checked with a voltmeter

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
put a drop or 2 of oil around the alleterator pump shaft and let the oil drain down the accelerator shaft. Leave it for a minute and then start the engine to see if the problem diminishes. If it does then you need a new seal on the accelerator pump.

Reactions: 1 users

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
this is how i found the choke blade, cold engine.

is that partially open? should it be closed?

Attachments

• 7B5E1413-CFE8-4D45-8C41-C6405BEF9007.jpeg
    7B5E1413-CFE8-4D45-8C41-C6405BEF9007.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 147

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
put a drop or 2 of oil around the alleterator pump shaft and let the oil drain down the accelerator shaft. Leave it for a minute and then start the engine to see if the problem diminishes. If it does then you need a new seal on the accelerator pump.
i need to find where it is and i will try that

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor