Standalone and turbo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyShuffle88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
I agree, I've never been around one of those units. Time will tell, keep us posted. :)
Will do. I just did some research on their website and they have tested it on a turbo setup with larger injectors(believe it was 80lbs/hr) upgraded TB etc, at 1000+ hp. I’m very intrigued by it. It can support dual Bosch wide band 02 sensors, sequential fuel and spark control with individual cylinder trim, two programmable fan control outputs, on the fly programmable target AFR and timing (if desired), knock sensor control, can be run self learning and/or have the ability to custom tune, the hand held unit has data log features, spark maps can be adjusted based on engine RPM, throttle position and vacuum reading, can set target air/ratio for when you are running under heavy amounts of boost plus timing control to retard the timing in those situations, I believe you can use the nitrous outputs and the nitrous program on the handheld to run a water or meth injection with a boosted setup as well, can save custom tune files so you can a street tune, race tune, E85 tune etc, and you can add the transmission control later if you don’t need or buy it intially. It’s still pretty new so not a lot of feedback yet but seems to have a ton of tuning and adjustability to fit the needs and demands of most setups and at over half the cost of the Holley Hp, dominator etc..

GBodyShuffle88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
There should be more use and feedback between now and the time I’m ready to purchase but I’m definitely leaning toward giving it a shot and will give you guys feedback when I do.

Reactions: 1 user

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
anyone here running a single GT45 setup? What kind of power and how much boost? Also anyone running the FiTech standalone ecu? If so how do you like it? Really thinking about using it on my Cutlass build.
I am in the process of building one. About 50% done. Junkyard 5.3, 4l80e, GT45, decapped truck injectors, stock P01 ecu tuned with Hptuners. I'll be running Speed Density/Open Loop.
Sorry I can't report on how it is yet. But I can answer your question on if you should do it. That answer is yes.
Also, if you don't want to go modified stock COM, I would do MS3Pro.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Im still kind of stuck in the middle. Im a good ways out before actually pulling the trigger on buying the turbo so, I can probably manage to get the 7875 if I do decide to go that route over the GT45. Although I have no desire to run their intake setup, Im pretty sold on the FiTech standalone ecu. I definitely want to be to work on tuning it myself, and I feel like hptuners is gonna be a little over my head and be a headache for me while learning, I feel like the FiTech unit will be a little more user friendly, and easier to learn how to tune, not to mention more affordable. I’ve don’t a lot of homework on going fuel injected and turbo, but this is my first go at it so still a lot more to learn
Also, I would just go with the 7875. And get it through VSracing. I hear nothing but good things about Viren but not so much On3

GBodyShuffle88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
Yeah I’m definitely planning on running a 5.3 GT45 setup, probably gonna run a turbo 350 trans tho. I think I’m going to give this FiTech standalone ecu a shot tho. Would love to hear more about your setup and how it performs when you get closer to completion. It’s amazing what you can do with these LS engines and how much abuse they
will withstand with minimal modifications.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Yeah I’m definitely planning on running a 5.3 GT45 setup, probably gonna run a turbo 350 trans tho. I think I’m going to give this FiTech standalone ecu a shot tho. Would love to hear more about your setup and how it performs when you get closer to completion. It’s amazing what you can do with these LS engines and how much abuse they
will withstand with minimal modifications.
It really is amazing what they can handle. Mine is a Gen 3, so it has the weaker rods. Probably won't push it past 15lbs. Probably run 10 most of the time. I eventually plan to get a Gen4 5.3 or 6.0 so I can push it a little further. But that will be for the future or if I window my current one lol.
You might consider a Th400 if you don't want to go the electronic route. They are a hell of alot stronger than the 350s.
Here is my build thread if you want to follow along. Should be finishing my hotside this week
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/my-turbo-5-3-and-4l80e-wagon-build.66530/page-8#post-606126

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Will do. I just did some research on their website and they have tested it on a turbo setup with larger injectors(believe it was 80lbs/hr) upgraded TB etc, at 1000+ hp. I’m very intrigued by it. It can support dual Bosch wide band 02 sensors, sequential fuel and spark control with individual cylinder trim, two programmable fan control outputs, on the fly programmable target AFR and timing (if desired), knock sensor control, can be run self learning and/or have the ability to custom tune, the hand held unit has data log features, spark maps can be adjusted based on engine RPM, throttle position and vacuum reading, can set target air/ratio for when you are running under heavy amounts of boost plus timing control to retard the timing in those situations, I believe you can use the nitrous outputs and the nitrous program on the handheld to run a water or meth injection with a boosted setup as well, can save custom tune files so you can a street tune, race tune, E85 tune etc, and you can add the transmission control later if you don’t need or buy it intially. It’s still pretty new so not a lot of feedback yet but seems to have a ton of tuning and adjustability to fit the needs and demands of most setups and at over half the cost of the Holley Hp, dominator etc..

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirt-iii-ems-system-with-ms3x-expansion-v3-57-assembled/ - what you described above is similar to the MS3X that I linked. It looks like another way to skin the cat. As long as it works is all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor