Standalone and turbo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyShuffle88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
The Dyno figured that it was making 614 at the crank in case that matters to you. I haven't run it at the track, I built a fast cruiser. Stock converter in the trans and 2.73 gears make it a freeway terror.

I forgot to quote you in the post above this one.
Sounds like a badass cruiser. That’s definitely what I’m shooting for power wise. I don’t necessarily mind it being lazy. I do plan to drive it on the street but very little. it will spend most of its time at the track. I’m sure I’ll be looking to go larger, that’s also one thing swaying me towards the GT45, it’ll make plenty enough power for me to get in trouble learning what I’m doing with a turbo, And it’s cheap enough that if and when I tear it up or get the itch for more power, I’m not out a lot of money

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyShuffle88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
The Dyno figured that it was making 614 at the crank in case that matters to you. I haven't run it at the track, I built a fast cruiser. Stock converter in the trans and 2.73 gears make it a freeway terror.

If you decide to upgrade a few months down the road and want to let a newb get a deal on the GT45 you have leftover, keep me in mind! lol! What heads are on your 5.3? It’s completely stock, minus injectors/fuel system?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The GT45 is heavy and a pain to deal with because of it. The VS or ON3 7875 is a great turbo on a 5.3. But it will be too much for the 600HP Fitech. It will make well over 600 crank on a 5.3. I had an ON3 7665 on a 327 with TPI that made 550. The 5.3 will rev well past where my TPI'd 327 implying the 5.3 will make more with less turbo.

Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on the intake and Fitech. Anyone worth their salt at a dyno with HP Tuners will get you a spot on tune in less than 1 hr. You'll need a set of 80lb injectors, a Bosch 099 pump, the 7875, BOV and WG of choice and be on your merry way.

BTW - the FiTech stuff is not very tuneable and the support sucks - other than what you can find on the interwebs.

Jim

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
If you decide to upgrade a few months down the road and want to let a newb get a deal on the GT45 you have leftover, keep me in mind! lol! What heads are on your 5.3? It’s completely stock, minus injectors/fuel system?
It has pac 1218 springs in otherwise completely stock 862 heads.

I probably won't be tearing this thing down again for at least a year as I'm in the process of preparing for, and then building a house so the car stuff has to stop for a bit.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyShuffle88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018

If you decide to upgrade a few months down the road and want to let a newb get a deal on the GT45 you have leftover, keep me in mind lol.
The GT45 is heavy and a pain to deal with because of it. The VS or ON3 7875 is a great turbo on a 5.3. But it will be too much for the 600HP Fitech. It will make well over 600 crank on a 5.3. I had an ON3 7665 on a 327 with TPI that made 550. The 5.3 will rev well past where my TPI'd 327 implying the 5.3 will make more with less turbo.

Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on the intake and Fitech. Anyone worth their salt at a dyno with HP Tuners will get you a spot on tune in less than 1 hr. You'll need a set of 80lb injectors, a Bosch 099 pump, the 7875, BOV and WG of choice and be on your merry way.

BTW - the FiTech stuff is not very tuneable and the support sucks - other than what you can find on the interwebs.

Jim

I didn’t realize the FiTech unit would be limited if I’m only using the ecu. Obviously using their intake/injectors etc yes. But when not buying the kit just the standalone ecu using my own intake and injectors, I didn’t think it would be limited on horsepower. I know I’ve heard you can only run up to a 2 bar map sensor but from what I’ve read that would support all that I want to do with it.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I didn’t realize the FiTech unit would be limited if I’m only using the ecu. Obviously using their intake/injectors etc yes. But when not buying the kit just the standalone ecu using my own intake and injectors, I didn’t think it would be limited on horsepower. I know I’ve heard you can only run up to a 2 bar map sensor but from what I’ve read that would support all that I want to do with it.

I'm not familiar with an Fitech that let's you use your own injectors. The FiTech is a TB unit that includes injectors, TPS, MAP and IAT sensors as well as idle valve of some nature. You can get it with their fuel pump giddyup or not and it comes in to different HP ratings (based on fuel injector sizing.) What part number are you intending to run/use?

GBodyShuffle88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
I'm not familiar with an Fitech that let's you use your own injectors. The FiTech is a TB unit that includes injectors, TPS, MAP and IAT sensors as well as idle valve of some nature. You can get it with their fuel pump giddyup or not and it comes in to different HP ratings (based on fuel injector sizing.) What part number are you intending to run/use?
It’s just a plug and play standalone harness and ecu that can be run with factory intake, injectors, TB. And I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to run upgraded injectors, intake, TB etc

GBodyShuffle88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
From what I’m seeing, it actually can use a 3 bar map sensor and support up to 30 lbs of boost, and injectors can be upgraded as long as they are high impedance injectors. I feel like you wouldn’t be limited on power with this unit, with supporting mods, other than max of 30 lbs of boost, but I don’t plan on pushing past 30.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
From what I’m seeing, it actually can use a 3 bar map sensor and support up to 30 lbs of boost, and injectors can be upgraded as long as they are high impedance injectors. I feel like you wouldn’t be limited on power with this unit, with supporting mods, other than max of 30 lbs of boost, but I don’t plan on pushing past 30.

I agree, I've never been around one of those units. Time will tell, keep us posted. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor