Starter Issue - No Crank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
'84 Monte Carlo SS...

My starter isn't cranking when I put the ignition switch in the crank position... It's how I start my car until I can afford another steering column.

I also have a bump starter button under the hood that isn't cranking the engine over... I used this to start my engine for months.

Only time I can get it to crank over and start the engine is if I jump it using a screwdriver, with the ignition switch in the on position.

I know it isn't the ignition switch because I have two of them, and 1 is brand new...same results with both.

The purple solenoid wire is getting power to it.

Used to start up just fine, until I over flooded the engine in the middle of traffic and continually kept trying to crank over the engine. My last attempt during that time, the starter continued to crank itself over on it's own for a good 30-45 seconds after I put the ignition switch back in the "OFF" position..

Had it towed home and replaced the oil and got the flooding to quit and carburetor under control...

Went to start it using the ignition switch and nothing happened...

Went to start it with the bump starter and nothing happened...

Jumped it with a screwdriver and it fired right up, but not with the bump starter or the ignition switch.

I don't trust to keep starting the engine like this as the starter may give out on me anywhere leaving me stuck and require another costly tow I can't afford...

My starter is good for a free replacement under warranty, and I'm thinking the solenoid gave out on it causing the issue I'm having now.

Anyone else think the same thing ?

Any other suggestions are considered. Thanks in advance.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Positive terminal on the battery is damaged... My subwoofer power wire did this before I corrected the connection to the power terminal on the battery...it melted the terminal...

Could this cause the voltage drop ?

(Removing starter now)
View attachment 190073 View attachment 190074
That would definitely make the connection not as good as it should be. You should get the battery tested or replaced.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Could this cause the voltage drop ?
View attachment 190074
Yes.... but.... how did that melt exactly can I ask lol? 🤦‍♀️

For side post batteries, if you really want to hook up amp wiring without getting a longer bolt- get rid of the rubber insulation so you can fit your ring terminal or a spade one under the positive battery lug.

Is it safe to assume, when you made the connection it had no ANL or Maxi Fuse?

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Yes.... but.... how did that melt exactly can I ask lol? 🤦‍♀️
When I connected my amp and subwoofer power wire to my battery power terminal, I didnt have a wire lug to crimp to the 4g power wire or a long battery terminal bolt. I just flattened out the wire and tightened it down as much as I could before it melted and I bought a longer bolt...
Is it safe to assume, when you made the connection it had no ANL or Maxi Fuse?
This ? No i don't have one of these ...

Screenshot_20220111-153123_Google.jpg

• Sad

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
The battery was at 40% and tested good, but because of the melted terminal, I went ahead and swapped it for a new replacement 😎
20220111_150931.jpg

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
When I connected my amp and subwoofer power wire to my battery power terminal, I didnt have a wire lug to crimp to the 4g power wire or a long battery terminal bolt. I just flattened out the wire and tightened it down as much as I could before it melted and I bought a longer bolt...

This ? No i don't have one of these ...

View attachment 190101
Damn, yeah definitely a big no's man.

With all the crazy wiring in your car already, you should think twice before running unfused connections like that.

Use actual terminals, and make sure you are using 4 gauge also, and not just going off someone elses word. Ngl it shouldn't have gotten that hot, that tells me there was either a connection had way smaller wiring or it was so loose it caused resistance to the point of getting that hot.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I was hoping that info was coming since it makes sense to complete both tasks @ the same time the battery was checked @ the parts supply place......
Exactly lol, this is 12 pages too long to be honest.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Let us know when you test the starter lmao.

I was hoping that info was coming since it makes sense to complete both tasks @ the same time the battery was checked @ the parts supply place......
Starter is being bench tested at home, and since it was the only ride available, I took it... 🤷🏾‍♂...

and a lot of the responses made here aren't very helpful lol not all, but alot...💁🏾‍♂🤣🤣🤣...take it with a grain of salt...🤷🏾‍♂🤦🏾‍♂🎯💯

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor