Starter Issue - No Crank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
'84 Monte Carlo SS...

My starter isn't cranking when I put the ignition switch in the crank position... It's how I start my car until I can afford another steering column.

I also have a bump starter button under the hood that isn't cranking the engine over... I used this to start my engine for months.

Only time I can get it to crank over and start the engine is if I jump it using a screwdriver, with the ignition switch in the on position.

I know it isn't the ignition switch because I have two of them, and 1 is brand new...same results with both.

The purple solenoid wire is getting power to it.

Used to start up just fine, until I over flooded the engine in the middle of traffic and continually kept trying to crank over the engine. My last attempt during that time, the starter continued to crank itself over on it's own for a good 30-45 seconds after I put the ignition switch back in the "OFF" position..

Had it towed home and replaced the oil and got the flooding to quit and carburetor under control...

Went to start it using the ignition switch and nothing happened...

Went to start it with the bump starter and nothing happened...

Jumped it with a screwdriver and it fired right up, but not with the bump starter or the ignition switch.

I don't trust to keep starting the engine like this as the starter may give out on me anywhere leaving me stuck and require another costly tow I can't afford...

My starter is good for a free replacement under warranty, and I'm thinking the solenoid gave out on it causing the issue I'm having now.

Anyone else think the same thing ?

Any other suggestions are considered. Thanks in advance.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Starter is being bench tested at home, and since it was the only ride available, I took it... 🤷🏾‍♂...

and a lot of the responses made here aren't very helpful lol not all, but alot...💁🏾‍♂🤣🤣🤣...take it with a grain of salt...🤷🏾‍♂🤦🏾‍♂🎯💯
Alot of them are helpful, not to be rude but the problem is 12 pages of overcomplicating an issue which is actually quite simple.

So what were the results of the bench test? It's very easy to test.

All you have to do, is tape a wire to both the red and black on the battery, tape the other end of black/ground wire to the the metal casing of the starter, and touch the other end of the red wire to the terminal.

Takes less than 5 minutes man, let me know.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020

Booster cables work also, but this is the idea lmao.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Alot of them are helpful, not to be rude but the problem is 12 pages of overcomplicating an issue which is actually quite simple.

So what were the results of the bench test? It's very easy to test.

All you have to do, is tape a wire to both the red and black on the battery, tape the other end of black/ground wire to the the metal casing of the starter, and touch the other end of the red wire to the terminal.

Takes less than 5 minutes man, let me know.
Yea I know you aren't being rude with only 1 car available to a household off 4 adults, lack of every tool I need to go out and buy, hour drives to the hospital every 4 hours, and researching, reading, taking pictures, making videos, and watching videos to questions that aren't answered for sometimes 6 hours at a time, constantly cleaning out the garage so I can work in it... with all of that going on, even the simplest job can get complicated... I wish I had all the knowledge, tools, workshop, and time to just do all this in a timely manner, but I honestly don't...

Starter isn't out yet, I didn't have a 9/16 socket, that I got when I got the battery, which I am just now returning home from... Takes 5 minutes from when I have the starter out, I'll let you know.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Yea I know you aren't being rude with only 1 car available to a household off 4 adults, lack of every tool I need to go out and buy, hour drives to the hospital every 4 hours, and researching, reading, taking pictures, making videos, and watching videos to questions that aren't answered for sometimes 6 hours at a time, constantly cleaning out the garage so I can work in it... with all of that going on, even the simplest job can get complicated... I wish I had all the knowledge, tools, workshop, and time to just do all this in a timely manner, but I honestly don't...

Starter isn't out yet, I didn't have a 9/16 socket, that I got when I got the battery, which I am just now returning home from... Takes 5 minutes from when I have the starter out, I'll let you know.
Thats fair man, maybe it's best to post when you have more spare time, so we can make better use of diags.

But yeah, for sure man it takes 5 min once the starter gets removed 💯💯

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
With my suggestion of using a remote juction block off a second positive cable, the amp would of had a better spot for the power wire.
Yeah true man, but since his wiring either was not enough AWG or it was barely connected at the battery, it would still have gotten hot from high resistance.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Starter is being bench tested at home, and since it was the only ride available, I took it... 🤷🏾‍♂...

and a lot of the responses made here aren't very helpful lol not all, but alot...💁🏾‍♂🤣🤣🤣...take it with a grain of salt...🤷🏾‍♂🤦🏾‍♂🎯💯
Well.... I know I'm trying to help. If you don't find my suggestions helpful let me know..
Where did you get the battery?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor