Starter Issue - No Crank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
'84 Monte Carlo SS...

My starter isn't cranking when I put the ignition switch in the crank position... It's how I start my car until I can afford another steering column.

I also have a bump starter button under the hood that isn't cranking the engine over... I used this to start my engine for months.

Only time I can get it to crank over and start the engine is if I jump it using a screwdriver, with the ignition switch in the on position.

I know it isn't the ignition switch because I have two of them, and 1 is brand new...same results with both.

The purple solenoid wire is getting power to it.

Used to start up just fine, until I over flooded the engine in the middle of traffic and continually kept trying to crank over the engine. My last attempt during that time, the starter continued to crank itself over on it's own for a good 30-45 seconds after I put the ignition switch back in the "OFF" position..

Had it towed home and replaced the oil and got the flooding to quit and carburetor under control...

Went to start it using the ignition switch and nothing happened...

Went to start it with the bump starter and nothing happened...

Jumped it with a screwdriver and it fired right up, but not with the bump starter or the ignition switch.

I don't trust to keep starting the engine like this as the starter may give out on me anywhere leaving me stuck and require another costly tow I can't afford...

My starter is good for a free replacement under warranty, and I'm thinking the solenoid gave out on it causing the issue I'm having now.

Anyone else think the same thing ?

Any other suggestions are considered. Thanks in advance.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Yep that guy is full of sh*te for sure, I hope the case goes ok man. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking there?
8k...and after looking at the VIN# this is a SS clone built from a V6 base Monte Carlo... Not a true SS...

I paid $800 for a strong running '86 base Monte Carlo in 2011...

Not only that, but I was told the engine was a rebuilt 350 with 46,000 miles on it... Turned out to be an '80-84 305 with 305 H.O. heads with unknown mileage...
Screenshot_20220112-013907_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220112-012352_Messenger.jpg

Thanks, it should go in my favor, given the right evidence...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Ok I hooked the new battery up and read the voltages with a multimeter on the purple wire at the end that connects to the "S" terminal on the starter and grounded at the negative battery terminal and held the "crank" position for 15 seconds or more...read 12.4 volts.

Same thing at the split and connected purple wire at the blue connector for the ignition switch...read 12.3 volts with the key in the crank position.

Verified I'm getting power from the ignition switch to the starter...

Bench tested the starter again today and it started doing exactly as it did when my carburetor flooded and started this whole starting issue...continuing to crank after I let off the key... I managed to catch it on video...

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Going to swap out this starter for a replacement today...

I'm guessing bad battery terminal and starter solenoid ?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
8k...and after looking at the VIN# this is a SS clone built from a V6 base Monte Carlo... Not a true SS...

I paid $800 for a strong running '86 base Monte Carlo in 2011...

Not only that, but I was told the engine was a rebuilt 350 with 46,000 miles on it... Turned out to be an '80-84 305 with 305 H.O. heads with unknown mileage... View attachment 190149 View attachment 190148

Thanks, it should go in my favor, given the right evidence...
Going to swap out this starter for a replacement today...

I'm guessing bad battery terminal and starter solenoid ?
Didn't you get a new battery? And yeah if it keeps turning over after turning the key off, it's probably a defective starter.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
No when I said bad terminal, I was referring to the old battery lol

I'm out getting the new starter now.
For sure, bring your old one so they know which one to use, as some have straight bolt pattern or staggered.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor